February 22, 2010 Planning Comt. monthly mtg.
San Francisco Asthma Task Force
Monthly Planning Committee Meeting
February 22, 2010
A. Committee Issues
- Schools Committee
- Anjali will contact Cynthia about disposal options for cleaning products. (On website – Our Work, In Homes)
- Environmental Committee
- RAMP Grant
· Grand opening of renter’s rights clinic was on Feb 6th. About 30 attendees. About 4 follow up appointments were made for the first day of clinic.
· About 300 flyers were sent out to get the word out and get clients in the door.
- Moving forward with training of SF Housing Authority staff on IPM; Northeastern Training Center will monitor for one year. Focus on cockroaches. Head of Maternal Child Health helped make connections.
- Tentatively set date for training at a dollar store in the Mission. Would be a pilot. SFE will help create tear-off sheets and information on asthma.
- Talked about opportunity to create educational videos through Breathe.
- Nan is looking for videos to show in waiting rooms.
- Clinical Committee
- Kaiser Grant: Your Clinic As an Agent of Change – had first motivational training at St. Anthony’s on smoking cessation with Steve Smith.
- CPMC Grant: Making the Patient a part of the Team – to be focused on Silver Ave.; First training on Feb 24th Asthma 101 and NIH Guidelines, March 31st Communications. David and Lisa are providing bi-lingual patient education, home visits, environmental teaching.
- Common theme is “meet people where they’re at”
- 3 UC Berkeley graduate students would develop an implementation plan for private practice in response to CPMC grant.
- Collected a lot of data and info from Asthma Network Updates
B.Anjali provided an update on the work of the tobacco-free project’s proposed amendment to strengthen SF’s.
- Members agreed to submit a letter of support
- Anjali will draft and submit to Gloria
C. World Asthma Day – brainstorm of ideas
-Toxic use reduction partners
-Child care pilot sites
-SFUSD – custodial staff (April training?)
-Can do a Health Commission Presentation to give them a heads up about ATF
sunset. It’s been two years since report. – agreed to do in the future when we are
ready to articulate message
- Think ahead about what we want the Health Dept. to be responsible
-Report card being released
-Can show achievements and progress in all areas of work
- Agreed that focus of WAD can be the dollar store event
- Can do a press release on IPM training with SFHA
- October – IAQ month – might be good to highlight RAMP grant and tie in to Hope SF
Future Meetings and Schedule
-Discussed doing away with monthly meetings and using quarterly meetings more effectively to look at bigger picture. Agreed to just hold quarterly meetings. Other meetings as needed.
-Committees are strong and can continue to move forward with work and monthly meetings
-Sue indicated that other coalitions are going through similar issues but we are on a good path
-2011 is our 10th Anniversary!
-DPH, MCH and CEHP are key allies for sustainability of SFATF
KPOO Radio Series
-no new updates
-Seems like time availability is an issue
Clinical Updates from Breathe California
-Asthma Certification Review Course being offered in Northern Counties
-Better Breathers at SFGH
-COPD course now available
April Quarterly Meeting Agenda
- Membership Updates
- Committee Updates (5 mins each)
- Planning for World Asthma Day and check in on future activities to promote SFATF work
- Discussion on Future Sustainability and Institutionalization
-Comment on Our Strategic Plan
-Presentation to Health Commission
-Presentation to Board of Supervisors
-Tracking our progress, accomplishments, future recommendations
Anjali contact Herman about:
-Future meetings of Enviro, Schools, Qtly
Contact Sabrina about Membership
Nominate Andrea for Health Commission Award