Domestic Partnership Ceremony
In Our Office
Instructions on having a Commitment Ceremony at City Hall:
1. Ceremonies are available Monday-Friday at 9:30 a.m through 3:30 p.m. every half hour. There are three appointments available during each available time period.
Online - Reservations can be made with credit card only (Visa or MasterCard): Online Ceremony Reservations.
In person - Reservations may be made by one of the parties to the marriage or a third party. The person making the reservation must be able to pay at the time of making the appointment. Cash, money order, and debit / credit card are accepted when making the reservation in person. Appointments do not need to be made by one of the parties involved; however, person must be able to pay at the time of making the appointment.
3. Rescheduling and No-Refund Policy – Please make sure you make your reservation selection very carefully as there will be ABSOLUTELY NO REFUNDS issued once the reservation has been made. Note: If you are also having your ceremony at City Hall, be sure to check both marriage license and marriage ceremony calendars first and schedule your ceremony appointment first as there are less ceremony appointments as there are marriage license appointments. We recognize that situations may arise, which may prevent you from making an existing appointment; therefore, you will be allowed to reschedule by submitting a request to our office at least 3 business days prior to your existing appointment. This will allow other members of the public to have an opportunity of taking the slot you are vacating and will allow our office to schedule staff accordingly.
The ceremony will NOT be performed unless you are already registered as Domestic Partners with the office of the San Francisco County Clerk.
If you are planning on registering your Domestic Partnership on the same day as your ceremony, you will be required to arrive at our office at least 30 minutes BEFORE your appointment in order to allow enough time to file your Declaration of Domestic Partnership form.
5. Both Domestic Partners must be able to speak and understand English. If the commissioner feels that either party does not speak English, he/she may refuse to perform the ceremony unless you provide your own third-party interpreter. Couples requiring a ceremony performed in American Sign Language (ASL) or any other language, must notify the County Clerk's Office in person or Contact Us to make arrangements, prior to booking an appointment online. Please allow a minimum of two week advance notice for all sign language bookings.
6. Domestic Partners and no more than 2 witnesses should arrive at the INFORMATION DESK at City Hall, Room 168 for CHECK-IN 10 minutes before your appointment time (other witnesses shall wait in outside area.)
*Couples bringing more than 6 guests, or guests who are creating a nuisance, impeding official government business, or impeding the enjoyment of the building by others may be removed by the Sheriff’s Department. If you are bringing more than 6 guests, and/or would like to request a specific venue for your marriage ceremony at City Hall, please make arrangements with the San Francisco City Hall Events Department at www.sfgov.org/cityhallevents
8. Ceremonies are performed in a location determined by the commissioner (usually our private ceremony room or the rotunda, if available.) Specific requests for the rotunda or any other area will NOT be accepted as we cannot guarantee availability.
Arrangements for off-site weekend ceremonies can be made for registered City and County of San Francisco Domestic Partners through our office. A Deputy County Clerk can be scheduled to perform a commitment ceremony at a San Francisco location of your choice and time (you are responsible for arranging and paying for venue, permits, etc.). Off-site ceremonies can be arranged with provided we are given 7-60 days notice. We will not accept requests within 7 days or more than sixty (60) days prior to the ceremony date.
To make arrangements, complete and submit an " Off-Site Ceremony Request Form " and $139.00 non-refundable fee to the SF County Clerk. Arrangements will not be made without receipt of payment. Upon receiving the request form and payment, you will be provided with your assigned Deputy County Clerk's name, phone number, and email address (if available).
On the day of the ceremony, $100.00 CASH must be paid to the Deputy County Clerk. These Deputy County Clerks are volunteers and not City and County of San Francisco employees.
The Office of the County Clerk has a right to refuse deputization services to anyone, should the office feel that the person is unable to complete the paperwork correctly or fulfill the duties required of a Deputy County Clerk.
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl., City Hall #168 SF CA 94102-4678 - Map Directions