Marriage: Civil Ceremony
In Our Office
Instructions on Getting Married at City Hall:
1. Ceremonies are available Monday-Friday starting at 9:00 a.m through 3:30 p.m. every half hour. Three reservation slots available each half hour.
2. Reservations require a payment of $83 at the time of booking. Appointments may be made:
3. Rescheduling and No-Refund Policy – Please make sure you make your reservation selection very carefully as there will be ABSOLUTELY NO REFUNDS issued once the reservation has been made. Note: If you are also having your ceremony at City Hall, be sure to check both marriage license and marriage ceremony calendars first and schedule your ceremony appointment first as there are less ceremony appointments as there are marriage license appointments. We recognize that situations may arise, which may prevent you from making an existing appointment; therefore, you will be allowed to reschedule by submitting a request to our office at least 3 business days prior to your existing appointment. This will allow other members of the public to have an opportunity of taking the slot you are vacating and will allow our office to schedule staff accordingly.
4. For Ceremonies....
5. Marriage licenses are issued by prepaid confirmed marriage license reservation only.
6. Both parties to the marriage must be able to speak and understand English. If the commissioner feels that either party does not speak English, he/she may refuse to perform the ceremony unless you provide your own third-party interpreter. Couples requiring a ceremony performed in American Sign Language (ASL) or any other language, must notify the County Clerk's Office in person or Contact Us to make arrangements, prior to booking an appointment online. Please allow a minimum of two week advance notice for all sign language bookings.
7. The couple and no more than 2 witnesses should arrive at the INFORMATION DESK at City Hall, Room 168 for CHECK-IN 10 minutes before your appointment time (other witnesses shall wait in outside area.)
8. The couple must bring:
*Couples bringing more than 6 guests, or guests who are creating a nuisance, impeding official government business, or impeding the enjoyment of the building by others may be removed by the Sheriff’s Department. If you are bringing more than 6 guests, and/or would like to request a specific venue for your marriage ceremony at City Hall, please make arrangements with the San Francisco City Hall Events Department at www.sfgov.org/cityhallevents
9. Ceremonies are performed in a location determined by the commissioner (usually our private ceremony room or the rotunda, if available.) Specific requests for the rotunda or any other area will NOT be accepted as we cannot guarantee availability.
10. A certified copy of your marriage record will NOT be available for purchase until at least 10 business days AFTER the license is received from the person solemnizing the marriage. Same day and expedited services for certified copies are NOT available. Please plan accordingly. For further information, see
11. No form of litter is permitted to be thrown anywhere inside or outside the building; including exterior steps (flower petals, bird seed, rice, confetti, silly string, etc...). Helium balloons, alcohol, and knives are not allowed into the building.
Off Site Weekend Ceremonies (Only Saturdays, Sundays, and Legal Holidays):
Arrangements for off-site weekend ceremonies are only made for marriage licenses purchased through our office. Our office will assign a Deputy Marriage Commissioner to perform a civil ceremony at a San Francisco location of your choice and time (you are responsible for arranging and paying for the venue, permits, etc.). A marriage license must be issued by San Francisco County prior to requesting for arrangements. We will not accept requests within 7 days or more than sixty (60) days prior to the ceremony date.
To make arrangements, complete and submit an Off- Site Ceremony Request Form and $139.00 non-refundable fee to the SF County Clerk. Arrangements will not be made without receipt of payment. Upon receiving the request form and payment, you will be provided with your assigned Deputy Marriage Commissioner's name, phone number, and email address (if available).
On the day of the ceremony, $150.00 CASH must be paid to the Deputy Marriage Commissioner. Deputy Marriage Commissioners are volunteers and not City and County of San Francisco employees.
Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a Day:
Any person age 18+ years may be granted authorization to perform a civil marriage as a Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a specific couple. For further information, see webpage Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a Day.
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl., City Hall #168 SF CA 94102-4678 - Map Directions