All registrations must be submitted in person and present valid authentic legal photo identification card containing photograph, full legal name, date of birth, date of issue, and date of expiration.
Most frequently asked questions
Q. What is required to become a Process Server?
- Completed application.
- Completed " No Longer Interested" Reporting Form. (one required per individual, each general partner or each corporate officer. Make copies if needed.)
- Bond from bonding company in the amount of $2,000 with coverage for two year registration period. Name on bond must match name indicated on application form. The bond must be in favor of the State of California AND include the name of the county where the bond will be filed (primary county). You may post $2,000 in cash in lieu of bond.
- Proof of live scan service (copy of Live Scan form completed by Live Scan Service) is required at time of filing process server application for an individual or EACH General Partner or Corporate officer. Any renewals will not require the live scan submission process, provided there has been no lapse in the period of registration.
Applicants are required to get a Live Scan Service - Applicant Submission form
can be obtainable from our office or you can download it - Live Scan Form, prior
to going to one of the approved Live Scan sites. A current listing of Live Scan
sites offering electronic fingerprint services is available to the public on the
Attorney General's (AG's) website at:
Note: The Department of Justice (DOJ) will only accept fingerprint images and related if those images and related information are electronically transmitted. Therefore, starting on July 1, 2005, fingerprint cards (FD 258) will no longer be accepted.
- If registering as individual, 2 passport size photos for your identification cards (temporary and permanent). Valid identification must be presented. If registering as Corporation or Partnership, no photos required.
- If registration contains a DBA, a copy of your current DBA/FBN (Fictitious Business Name Statement) must be presented.
- Payment in cash, preprinted check, money order payable to SF County Clerk, or debit / credit card. See fees.
Q. What is the length of time for processing?
- Approximately 30 minutes since this service is handled on a first-come-first-serve basis during processing hours of Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Q. If I am working for a Corporation/General Partnership, can I serve process on
behalf of the Corporation/General Partnership?
- No. A Corporation or General Partnership cannot authorize an employee to be issued an ID card under their registration, which is required to serve process. The individual would need to register as an individual process server.
Q. If I am an Individual registered Process Server, can I have my employees serve
process for me?
- No. An individual cannot have any employees working under him/her so there would not be any " employee" cards to issue.
Q. If I am a Corporate Officer of the Corporation/General Partner of the General
Partnership, can I serve process on behalf of the Corporation/General
- Yes, as long as you are not serving process more than 10 times in a year. Any of the partners or corporate officers expecting to serve process more than 10 times in a year, must also register as individual process servers.
Q. If my temporary ID is about to expire and I haven't received the permanent ID
yet, what should I do?
- The permanent card is mailed to the individual/corporate officers/general partners as soon as clearance is received by California Department of Justice and FBI or after 120 days even if clearance has not been received by both agencies. If you do not receive it within 3 days after expiration of your temporary ID, call our office at (415) 554-4950 to inquire when the permanent card was sent.
Q. Can I put a P.O. Box as my address instead of my residential address?
- Yes. P.O. Boxes are acceptable.
Q. My process server registration is about to expire. What is required for the renewal?
- You may then come to our office, up to 60 days prior to your expiration, with your new bond to renew your registration. The registration would be set to start when the previous one expires so that there is no loss in time for you.
- Completion of application
- Bond from bonding company in the amount of $2,000 with coverage for two-year registration period. Name on bond must match name indicated on application form and your legal picture ID. The bond must be in favor of the State of California AND include the name of the county where the bond will be filed (primary county). You may post $2,000 in cash in lieu of bond.
- NEW passport photos. You will be issued a new permanent process server ID reflecting new dates of registration.
- Fee payable by cash, preprinted check, money order payable to SF County Clerk, or debit / credit card. See fees.
- NO live scan submission process is required AS LONG AS your registration has NOT expired.
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl., City Hall #168 SF CA 94102-4678 - Map Directions