Rules for Photographers in the Office of the County Clerk and City Hall
FAILURE TO ADHERE TO APPLICABLE POLICIES MAY RESULT IN IMMEDIATE REMOVAL FROM CITY HALL, AND/OR TEMPORARY OR PERMANENT DEBARMENT FROM CITY HALL.
Rules for Office of County Clerk
- Only one photographer per couple.
- No videotaping in Rooms 168 and 162 (due to privacy and confidentiality concerns).
- No use of flash photography. Lighting equipment must be battery operated.
- No photographing any documents or other customers.
- No use of professional photography equipment (e.g., umbrella lights, flash photography equipment, zoom lenses or cameras larger than the size of one’s hand).
Rules for San Francisco City Hall/Surrounding Property including Office of the County Clerk:
- No sitting, posing or otherwise blocking stairwells, doors or hallways.
- No use of flash equipment that causes a significant visual disturbance without prior authorization.
- No affixing to the interior or exterior of City Hall any prop, wiring, lighting fixture, signage, banner, flag, emblem, scaffold, covering, paint or decoration.
- Commercial photography, videography, or film production and related commercial activity is prohibited without proper permits from the San Francisco Film Commission.
Rules for Civil Ceremonies Officiated by the Office of the County Clerk at City Hall
- Only couples, witnesses, and one photographer are permitted in Room 168. All other guests should wait in outer hallway until it is time for the ceremony to begin.
- Ceremony locations in City Hall are determined by County Clerk personnel & not by photographers.