The Department has made ending violence against women a priority program area. In addition to providing resources and reports, the work of the Department in this program area comes in several forms:
VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN PREVENTION AND INTERVENTION GRANTS PROGRAM (VAW)
- VAW Grants Program Annual Performance Summary: The Violence Against Women Prevention and Intervention Grants Program funds community-based violence prevention programs in San Francisco. The Annual Performance Summary documents service outcomes by fiscal year.
- Domestic Violence Counts: 2009 Census of Domestic Violence Services - The Department conducted a 24-hour survey of domestic violence service providers to gain a better sense of the help-seeking patterns of victims of domestic violence. The report outlines the findings of this survey.
- Creating a Safer San Francisco: Integrating Multicultural Strategies to End Violence Against Women and Girls (pdf) - This needs assessment conducted in 2007 showcases the strengths of the current provider network, and examines gaps in the domestic violence intervention system.
- Contact List of Partner Agencies in the VAW Grants Program FY 2011-2014
- The Department created the 'Respect is Sexy' Ad Campaign and the "Every 9 Seconds" Domestic Violence Resource Guide to educate the public about violence against women.
- Violence Against Women and Girls in San Francisco: Meeting the Needs of Survivors (Also available as a PDF)
JUSTICE & COURAGE OVERSIGHT PANEL
- Justice & Courage: A Blueprint for San Francisco's Response to Domestic Violence (2002) - Following a tragic domestic violence homicide, San Francisco examined the criminal justice system's response, making hundreds of recommendations. This report resulted in the formation of the Justice and Courage Oversight Panel in 2002, a committee of the Commission.
- Safety for All: Identifying and Closing the Gaps in San Francisco's Domestic Violence Criminal Justice Response (pdf) - San Francisco Domestic Violence Safety and Accountability Audit Report (March 2007)
- Courage to Change: Final Report of the Domestic Violence Safety and Accountability Audit Implementation Committee, May 2010 - The Audit Implementation Committee documented its 2 years of work implementing the recommendations in Safety for All.
FAMILY VIOLENCE COUNCIL
- Comprehensive Report on Family Violence in San Francisco, 2011 (pdf): In this 3rd annual report, the Family Violence Council examines child abuse, domestic violence, and elder abuse in San Francisco. You can also view the 2010 and 2009 reports.