Ballot Argument Forms; Changes to Proponents’ and Opponents’ Argument Process
Changes to Proponents’ and Opponents’ Argument Process
Recent changes to the San Francisco Municipal Elections Code prohibit any registered San Francisco voter, group of registered San Francisco voters, association or organization, or combination thereof, to Author and submit more than one argument per local ballot measure for selection as either the proponent’s argument or the opponent’s argument to be published free of charge in the Voter Information Pamphlet. Further, when submitting an argument for selection as the Proponent’s or Opponent’s Argument for a ballot measure, each Author must attest under penalty of perjury that the Author is a proponent (i.e., not a Non-supporter) or an opponent (i.e., not a Supporter) of the measure.
Instructions for Ballot Argument Forms
1. Ensure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader, available free from Adobe.com. Adobe Reader is required to properly fill out the form electronically. You can still view and print the form with any other PDF reader/viewer.
2. Download and save Ballot Argument Control Sheet A (PDF).
3. If there is more than one Author for the ballot argument, download and save Ballot Argument Control Sheet B (PDF), for additional Authors' information and signatures.
4. Complete, save and print Ballot Argument Control Sheet A and, if needed, Control Sheet B.
5. Prior to the submission deadline, submit the completed, printed and signed Ballot Argument Control Sheet(s) in person at the Department of Elections.
6. To facilitate typesetting of the argument, please also send an electronic copy of Ballot Argument Control Sheet A to the Publications division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: the printed copy of the Ballot Argument Control Sheet that is submitted in person to the Department of Elections is the official submission of the ballot argument. This is the version that will be published in the Voter Information Pamphlet.
If you are submitting several ballot arguments with the same submitter or payment source information, you can save Ballot Argument Control Sheet A under a different file name, and change only the information that is different from the previous argument.
Other forms to print and complete, if needed
Consent form (PDF) - please print and complete this form if the ballot argument states that an individual or entity, other than an Author, supports or opposes the ballot measure, or agrees with or endorses the argument.
Assignment form (PDF) - please print and complete this form to assign your right to submit a ballot argument to another person or entity, under certain circumstances described in the current Ballot Argument Guide.