1. Q: What do my employees receive if I contribute to the City Option on their behalf?
A: The City Option allows you to contribute to the City’s public benefit program on behalf of your employees.
Based on the information you provide, your employees will be provided one of two health benefits:
- Medical Reimbursement Accounts (MRAs) – The employer’s contribution is deposited in an irrevocable reimbursement account. Employees can obtain reimbursements from their MRAs for a full range of medical, dental, vision expenses, including reimbursements for the cost of insurance premiums.
- Healthy San Francisco – If an employee is eligible for Healthy San Francisco (HSF), the employer’s payment may be applied towards the Employee’s HSF enrollment, and the employee may receive a discount on Healthy San Francisco program participation fees. To be eligible for HSF, the employee must live in San Francisco, s/he must be uninsured, and s/he must not qualify for public health insurance programs (such as Medi-Cal).
Any employee with contributions assigned to Healthy San Francisco but not used for Healthy San Francisco enrollment fees may choose to have those contributions transferred to an MRA.
Updated January 6, 2016
2. Q: Are City Option contributions irrevocable?
A: Yes, contributions to the City Option never return to the employer and are therefore irrevocable.
The contributed funds remain available to the employee, and the employee may seek reimbursements for health care expenses from their remaining MRA balance at any time.
3. Q: Are there any special notice requirements for employers that contribute to the City Option?
A: Yes. A Covered Employer that satisfies its obligation to make the Required Health Care Expenditures by making payment to the City Option must provide its Covered Employees with an Employee Health Care Payment Confirmation, which is available in English, Chinese, Spanish, and Tagalog.
Updated October 24, 2016
4. Q: How do I obtain more information about the City Option?
A: Please visit the City Option website.
Employers may also contact City Option Program Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 615-4492.
Employees may contact the City Option at (415) 615-4555 or email@example.com.
Back to HCSO home