CleanPowerSF

Detail Environment Icon

Public Utilities Commission

FY2017-18
Target: 241,438 enrolled, active services in CleanPowerSF by July 2018
Status:
ON TRACK TO MEET TARGET

CleanPowerSF is San Francisco’s Community Choice Aggregation program administered by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC). CleanPowerSF was created pursuant to state legislation that authorizes local governments to partner with their investor-owned utility (PG&E in San Francisco) to deliver cleaner energy to residents and businesses.

CleanPowerSF supplies a cleaner electricity supply to customers, while PG&E continues to deliver that energy using its existing infrastructure. Currently, about 30% of the electricity delivered by PG&E is Renewable; the other 70% is from nuclear, natural gas, large hydoelectric, and other non-Renewable sources. CleanPowerSF offers two services with a higher percentage of the energy from cleaner sources, such as solar and wind: Green, which contains 40% Renewable energy, and SuperGreen, which contains 100% Renewable energy.

Customers will be automatically enrolled in the Green service, and may elect to opt up to receive the SuperGreen service at any time after enrollment.  By law, CleanPowerSF is an opt-out program, meaning enrolled customers may elect to remain with or switch back to PG&E electricity supply service if they wish. Customers can choose to enroll in CleanPowerSF at any time, even if their neighborhood has not yet been automatically enrolled.

The chart below shows the total number of active Green and SuperGreen services per month. CleanPowerSF aims to enroll 95% of all eligible customers in Green and 5% in SuperGreen services by July 2019.

ACTIVE ENROLLMENT IN CLEANPOWERSF

HOW THE DEPARTMENT IS PERFORMING 

CleanPowerSF began delivering cleaner energy to San Francisco neighborhoods in May 2016. CleanPowerSF will enroll San Francisco neighborhoods in phases, with a target of enrolling 100% of eligible accounts by July 2019, or sooner, if possible. CleanPowerSF has surpassed their Phase 1 plan to enroll 75,000 customers by 2018: at the end of FY2016-17, 76,055 (20% of all eligible) customers were enrolled in CleanPowerSF.

To remain on timeline, small quarterly enrollments will occur in July, October and January of FY2017-18, and a major enrollment is planned for May 2018.

The SFPUC has set a target for CleanPowerSF's default Green service to achieve a 50% renewable energy content by 2020, or sooner if possible. By comparison, the State of California requires that all electricity retailers provide 33% of power from eligible renewable resources by 2020. CleanPowerSF is above that target today, as the Green service currently includes 40% eligible renewable energy.

HOW PERFORMANCE IS MEASURED

The number of eligible and participating service is derived from regular reports provided by PG&E and verified by SFPUC staff. 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

  • Please read more about CleanPowerSF here.
  • Interested in enrolling early in CleanPower SF? Learn how to sign up here.

DATA

Please visit DataSF for the scorecard data.