Street_Artists_Committee2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003
STREET ARTISTS COMMITTEE
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 70
- Action. Hearing and possible motion to approve issuance or renewal of certificate.
Michael Hanley - Certificate #5735. Alleged violation: Improper, hazardous conduct of business: (1) Intimidating and bullying a street artist (August 21, 2008); (2) Smoking in Justin Herman Plaza, a non-smoking area (November 15 and December 23, 2008); (3) Disrupting other artists' businesses by setting up an umbrella which blocked customers' view of other artists' displays (November 15, 2008); (4) Verbally antagonizing and confronting other artists in a hostile manner (November 15, 2008); (5) Selling without a valid Board of Equalization Seller's Permit (ongoing); (6) Selling without a valid San Francisco Business Tax Registration (ongoing).
- Action. Hearing and possible motion to approve authorization of Program Director to request Board of Supervisors for permanent designation of nine (9) street artist selling spaces for weekend usage on the north side of Market Street at the intersection of Steuart Street.
[In Resolution No. 359-08, approved by the Mayor on August 7, 2008, the Board of Supervisors approved designation for six (6) months of nine (9) temporary selling spaces for weekend usage on Market Street, north side, at Steuart Street, exempted said spaces from the regulations of Police Code Section 2405 relating to street artist display size and bus zone, and provided said spaces to be subject to Board of Supervisors review.]
- Action. Hearing and possible motion to approve policy of receiving application and certificate fee payments in the form of checks or money orders only (no cash).
- Action. Hearing and possible motion to reduce wasteful usage of lottery supplies by rescinding procedure which allows street artists to enter into the space-assignment lotteries the names of street artists not present at the lotteries.
[On July 1, 2002, the Arts Commission adopted a "continuation of amended lottery procedures" which allows street artists to enter into the lotteries names of street artists not present at the lotteries.]
- Action. Hearing and possible motion to authorize Program Director to select and make honorarium payment to qualified street artists for assisting Program Director in painting markings of spaces in street artist selling areas.
- Discussion. Street Artists Program Director's report.
- Discussion. Steering Committee's report.
- Discussion. New business.
February 12, 2009
Explanatory documents are available for public inspection and copying at the Arts Commission office, 25 Van Ness Ave, Suite 240, San Francisco CA 94102 during regular business hours. Tel: INFO: (Howard Lazar 415-252-2583).
Public comment in regard to specific items will be taken before or during consideration of the item.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance (San Francisco Campaign and Governmental Conduct Code sections 2.100 - 2.160) to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at 25 Van Ness, Suite 220, San Francisco, CA 94102, telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112 and web site.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE
Government's duty is to serve the public, reaching its decision in full view of the public. Commission's, boards, councils and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people's business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people's review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact Frank Darby by mail to Administrator, Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 244, San Francisco CA 94102-4689; by phone at (415) 554-7724; by fax at (415) 554-7854; or by email at email@example.com.
Citizens interested in obtaining a free copy of the Sunshine Ordinance can request a copy from Mr. Darby or by printing Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code on the Internet, http://www.sfgov.org/sunshine/