Meeting of the Full Arts Commission
Monday, June 3, 2002
25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 70
Explanatory documents are available for public inspection and copying at the Arts Commission office, 25 Van Ness Ave, ste 240, San Francisco CA 94102 during regular business hours. Tel: 252-2591.
Public comment in regard to specific items will be taken before or during consideration of the item.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve May 13, 2002 Minutes.
Explanatory document: Draft minutes
- President's Report
- Director's Report
- Consent Calendar
The following action items are included in the Consent Calendar subject to withdrawal at the request of a Commissioner:
- Joint Civic Design and Visual Arts Committee Recommendations (04/17/02)
- Motion to continue discussion of the project Emperor Norton Memorial in the Visual Arts Committee Meeting on May 22, 2002.
Civic Design Committee Recommendations (05/20/02)
- Motion to approve Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, Perimeter Security Enhancements, Phase 1,2,3.
- Motion to approve Minnie and Lovie Ward Recreation Center, Phase 1.
- Motion to approve Broadway Streetscape Improvement Project from Montgomery to Battery streets only, Phase 2 excluding proposed trash receptacle design and street light design. Subsequent blocks will be reviewed separately.
Special Civic Design Committee Recommendations (05/22/02)
- Motion to approve Laguna Honda Hospital Replacement Project Phase 1 and 2, contingent upon review of window design at core and at top level of resident buildings prior to June 3rd Full Commission Meeting.
Executive Committee Recommendations (05/21/02)
- Motion to approve recommendations for 34 grants totaling $455,100 in the 2002 cycle of Organizational Project Grants.
- Motion to approve the addition of the following individuals to the Cultural Equity Grants Panel Pool:
Kim Cook, consultant, former Executive Director of Theater Artaud
Helene York, General Manager A Traveling Jewish Theater
Leon Lee, Flutist and staff member of NAATA
Community Arts & Education Committee Recommendations (05/28/02)
- Motion to approve Neighborhood Festival grants of $33,000 from 2002-03 Grants for the Arts funds to the following organizations:
Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center, Fiesta on the Hill $3,250
Every Child Can Learn Foundation, San Francisco Youth Arts Festival $3,250
Intersection for the Arts, Arts Providers Alliance $1,000
New Direction, Bayview/Hunters Point 4th of July Picnic $3,250
Potrero Hill Neighborhood House, Inc., Festival 2002 $3,250
Precita Eyes Muralists Assoc., Inc., Urban Youth Arts Festival $3,250
Rescue Culture Collective, Dia de los Muertos $3,250
San Francisco SAFE, Sixth Annual Holiday Unity Parade & Rally $3,250
SOMA Youth Festival, SOMA Youth Festival $3,250
Sunset District Community Development, Sunset Community Festival $3,250
Treasure Island Homeless Development Initiative, Treasure Island Community Day $3,250
- Motion to approve Bayview Opera House Ruth Williams Memorial Theater budget modification to reflect inclusion of $33,578 from the 2000-2001 Hotel Tax Fund for a budget total of $335,139 for fiscal year 2001-2002.
- Motion to approve the proposed Bayview Opera House Ruth Williams Memorial Theater, Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts, and South of Market Cultural Centers' 2002-2003 Management and Programming Plans and Budgets, from Cultural Center Line Item Hotel Tax Funds, contingent upon receipt of required audited financial reports and Community Support Group Meeting minutes.
Bayview Opera House $289,307
Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts $545,894
South of Market Cultural Center $914,476
TOTAL ALLOCATION $1,749,677
Visual Arts Committee Recommendations (05/22/02)
- Motion for the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into contract with Stuart Dean for the conservation of the Dewey Monument in Union Square for an amount not to exceed $90,000.
- Motion to accept into the Civic Art Collection the tile mural by artist JoeSam titled "Wade in Water," 2001, consisting of 900 glazed ceramic tiles 12 x 12" installed on five walls in the new Martin Luther King Swimming Pool covering approximately 3,712 square feet.
- Motion to accept into the Civic Art Collection an installation by artists Jon Rubin and Harrell Fletcher, "Photos of People from the Neighborhood Enlarged and Attached to the Building, and Fortunes in the Parking Spaces," 2002, consisting of 11 30"-34" wide porcelain-enameled steel medallions and stenciled fortunes painted on the concrete floor at the end of each parking space at the North Beach Parking Garage at 735 Vallejo Street.
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into a contract for $10,000 with Jeffrey Brown for architectural landscape and art consulting services at the Sunnydale Pump Station Endangered Garden Public Art Project.
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into a contract for $24,000 with Glass Block Designs for repairs and modifications to the Embarcadero Ribbon Sculpture.
- Motion to authorize Jud Fine and Barbara McCarren to change the color of the granite in the "Split Mound" from "Radiant Red" to "Kenoran Sage" and the finish to an all polished surface.
- Motion to approve the mural design by lead artist Santi Huckaby on the exterior of Hamilton Swimming Pool at the corner of Steiner and Post Streets, funded by Neighborhood Beautification.
- Motion to approve the mural design by Josef Norris at 1849 Harrison Street, funded by Gerbode Foundation, Irvine Foundation, Grants for the Arts, and a grant from the San Francisco Arts Commission.
- Motion to approve content of video program for Diller/Scofidio public art project at Moscone Center Expansion Project.
- Motion to approve completion of the interior artwork carvings by Shum, Shu Gordon LLC for the Moscone Expansion Project.
- Motion to approve City Site exhibition by Reuben Lorch-Miller, to open June 30, 2002.
- Motion to approve a letter of support encouraging the Arts Commission to work with Treasure Island staff on the preservation of the Treasure Island Museum.
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into an Agreement with Atthowe Fine Arts for an amount not to exceed $50,000 to design and engineer and construct sculpture footings and bases and to transport and install 4 - 6 sculptures at San Francisco International Airport.
- Motion to approve the Revised Public Art Guidelines, dated May 1, 2002.
- Motion to increase Owen Smith's contract by $3,000 to develop a design proposal for paintings for the link building lobby.
- Motion to approve Mark Henry Campbell, Mike Mandel, Ellen Oppenheimer, Ann Preston, Merle Axelrad Serlin, and Nita Winter as a pre-qualified pool of artists to be considered by Laguna Honda Hospital for a commission to design artwork for the third floor elevator lobby of the link building.
- Motion to approve Chris Johnson, Marie Lovelace O'Neil, Winifred Day, and Katherine Spencer as selection panelists for Ocean View Recreation Center.
- Committee Reports
- Civic Design Committee--Stanlee Gatti, Chair
- Report from Chair of Civic Design Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Visual Arts Committee -- Ralph Guggenheim, Chair
- Report from Chair of Visual Arts Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Motion for the Director of Cultural Affairs to extend contract with Griswold Conservation Associates LLC for Art Conservation at the 911 Center until June 30, 2002.
- Motion to approve the design concept of a mural by lead artist Susan Cervantes to be installed on an interior wall in the offices of the San Francisco Environment Department at 11 Grove Street, funded by the General Fund, based on the project description and lead artist's qualifications, and with the stipulation that final design of the mural shall be approved by the Arts Commission prior to authorization to proceed.
- Executive Committee -- Stanlee Gatti, Chair
- Report from Chair of Executive Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Street Artists Committee --Dugald Stermer, Chair
- Report from Chair of Street Artists Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Motion to request by former certificate-holder for priority issuance of certificate with waiver of re-screening of wares:Ed Brandstetter, Susan Ji, Paul Mallette, Daniel L. de Guevara, Pedro Hidalgo, Lukkana Laoaskunchai.
- Community Arts & Education --Denise Roth, Chair
- Report from Chair of Community Arts & Education Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Reports and Announcements
- Public Comment