Meeting of the Full Arts Commission
Monday, November 4, 2002
25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 70
Explanatory documents are available for public inspection and copying at the Arts Commission office, 25 Van Ness Ave, ste 240, San Francisco CA 94102 during regular business hours. Tel: 252-2591.
Public comment in regard to specific items will be taken before or during consideration of the item.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve October 7, 2002 Minutes.
Explanatory document: Draft minutes
- President's Report
- Director's Report
- Consent Calendar
The following items are included in the Consent Calendar subject to withdrawal at the request of a Commissioner:
Approval of Committee Minutes
- Motion to approve the Visual Arts Committee Meeting Minutes of October 16, 2002.
Explanatory Document: Draft Committee Minutes
- Motion to approve the Street Artists Committee Meeting Minutes of October 9, 2002.
Explanatory Document: Draft Committee Minutes
Civic Design Committee Recommendations (10/21/02)
- Motion to approve the Lincoln Pump Station, Phase 1
- Motion to approve the San Francisco Municipal Asphalt Plant Upgrades, Phase 1,2,3
- Motion to approve the 911/OES Emergency Communications Pedestrians Improvements, Phase 2
- Motion to approve the Eureka Valley Recreation Center Expansion, Phase 1 with contingencies
1. Revise the path of access to the front door to be more direct and clear
2. Revise exterior finishes to a more neutral color
3. Proposed other options for the fence design around front of building
Executive Committee Recommendations (10/15/02)
- Motion to approve the following Public Art Fund allocations:
Administrative costs (including rent, IT consultant, senior accountant) $37,000; SFAC home page web design $5,000; SFAC promotional brochure & folder (design, editorial & printing) $10,000
TOTAL - $52,000
- Motion to grant up to $105,000 to Intersection for the Arts for services rendered for feasibility studies for a new Arts Commission facility.
- Motion to amend resolution no. 0205-01-063 to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to take action, without a resolution of the full Commission, to approve selection panelists nominated by Arts Commission staff.
The new motion in its entirety shall be revised to read:
- Approve selection panelists nominated by Arts Commission staff and;
- Approval of short-listed candidates recommended by Selection Panelists and;
- Payments for services provided by artists, contractors, consultants, printers, graphic designers, photographers, signage fabricators and
installers, photo labs and other miscellaneous project expenses that do not require design approval from the Commission and;
- Start-up of new art enrichment projects including the determination of overall project parameters and;
- Approval to enter into preliminary design contracts where the selection is not based upon submission of a specific design proposal with artists recommended by Selection Panels for new art enrichment projects.
- Motion to approve the addition of the following individuals to the Cultural Equity Grants Panel Pool:
·Vivien Dai, dancer, performance artist, non-profit events consultant
·Tiffany S. Broili, museum specialist, Development Assistant, SFMOMA
·Alina Hua, Development Director, NAATA, formerly with Wing Luke Asian Museum and Performing Arts Workshop
·Ruth Tobar, Executive Director, Children's Book Press
·Tamara Gould, Executive Director, Bay Area Video Coalition
·Loris A. Bradley, Performing Arts Curator, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
·Claudia L. Vierra Allen, Executive Director, Luna Sea Women's Performance Project
·Catherine Sumner, Assoc.. Dir. of Development, SFMOMA·
Visual Arts Committee Recommendations (10/16/02)
- Motion to approve the mural design by lead artist Susan Greene at 2299 Market Street at Noe Street, funded by Neighborhood Beautification.
- Authorization for the following individuals to serve as guest jurors on the Octavia Blvd. Selection Panel: Diana Pompelly Bates, Kevin Chen and Masayuki Nagase in addition to the three community members previously approved.
- Motion to approve the following artists for gallery exhibitions December 2002 - January 2003: Ellen Babcock, Lisa Ann Perez, Chris Cobb curated by Natasha Garcia-Lomas.
- Motion to approve the following artists for gallery exhibitions February - March, 2003: Elvira Hufsmid, Janet Delaney, Paula McArtney, Maizie Gilbert curated by Rupert Jenkins.
- Motion to approve the following artist for window View 155 exhibition February - March, 2003: Libby Black.
- Authorization for staff to proceed to contract for the removal of 15 damaged ribbon bollards to be replaced with flat ribbon pavement, contingent upon receipt of funding from the Transportation Authority.
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into contract with T.J. McHose for $10,000 to repair and replace fiber optic elements of the Embarcadero Ribbon Sculpture.
- Motion to approve artist Victor Zaballa's revised designs for the South East Water Pollution Control Plant and to enter into a fabrication and installation contract with the artist for $47,000 contingent upon staff and PUC's approval.
- Motion to approve the median site for permanent installation of sculpture by Pepe Ozan.
- Motion to approve Victor Zaballa's final design concept for the main gate of the Visitacion Valley Club House.
- Motion to approve Vicki Saull's revised design layout and colors for the interior artwork.
- Motion to approve the Conceptual Design Proposal by Merle Axelrad Serlin for the 3rd Floor Elevator Lobby.
- Motion to approve the Conceptual Design Proposal by Owen Smith for the 1st Floor Elevator Lobby.
- Motion to approve the Selection Panel recommendation of the following finalists to develop proposals for the Courtyard Sculpture Project: Suzanne Biaggi, Jonathan Bonner, Linnea Glatt, Michael Stutz, Wang Po Shu, and alternates Gwynn Murrill and Ann Preston.
- Committee Reports
- Civic Design Committee--Stanlee Gatti, Chair
- Report from Chair of Civic Design Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Visual Arts Committee -- Ralph Guggenheim, Chair
- Report from Chair of Visual Arts Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Motion to accept recommendation made by the Octavia Boulevard Streetscape Project Artist Selection Panel to select the following three artists as finalists for the project and to award an honoraria of $500 each for the development of a preliminary proposal: Steve Gillman and Kathleen Keefer (team); Jefferson Mack and Wang Po Shu.
- Street Artists Committee - Dugald Stermer, Chair
- Report from Chair of Street Artists Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Motion to approve requests by former certificate-holders for priority issuance of certificate with waiver of re-screening of wares: Juan Roman, Abdoulaye Toure, Daniel Parker, Dolores Parker, Laura Jacobs, Pamela Quattrochi--glass Xmas ornaments, glass pipes & oil lamps & jewelry which included glass.
- Executive Committee -- Stanlee Gatti, Chair
- Report from Chair of Executive Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Community Arts & Education --Denise Roth, Chair
- Report from Chair of Community Arts & Education Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Reports and Announcements
- Public Comment