Meeting of the Full Arts Commission
Monday, December 2, 2002
25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 70
Explanatory documents are available for public inspection and copying at the Arts Commission office, 25 Van Ness Ave, ste 240, San Francisco CA 94102 during regular business hours. Tel: 252-2591.
Public comment in regard to specific items will be taken before or during consideration of the item.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve November 4, 2002 Minutes.
Explanatory document: Draft minutes
- President's Report
- Director's Report
- Consent Calendar
The following items are included in the Consent Calendar subject to withdrawal at the request of a Commissioner:
Approval of Committee Minutes
- Motion to approve the Executive Committee Meeting Minutes of October 15, 2002.
Explanatory Document: Draft Committee Minutes
- Motion to approve the Visual Arts Committee Meeting Minutes of November 20, 2002.
Explanatory Document: Draft Committee Minutes
Civic Design Committee Recommendations (11/18/02)
- Motion to approve La Grande Tank Replacement, Phase 1.
Visual Arts Committee Recommendations (11/20/02)
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into contract with Levy Design Partners in the amount of $9,500 for consultation during the fabrication and installation of artworks integrated into the platforms of the Third Street Light Rail Project.
- Motion to authorize the placement of $40,000 in art enrichment funds from the Public Utilities Commission La Grande Tank Replacement Project for future use at other PUC facilities or sites determined to be mutually agreeable to both the San Francisco Arts Commission and the PUC.
- Motion to redirect $2,000 in art enrichment funding from the Recreation and Park Department's Bison Paddock Renovation for use by the Civic Art Collection Program.
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into contract with structural engineer Robert Bailey for construction drawings for the Portals of the Past in Golden Gate Park for an amount not to exceed $17,500.
- Motion to accept into the Civic Art Collection with gratitude two bronze sculptures by Jonathan Beery titled "Leatherback Sea Turtle" and "The Pink Short-Spined Starfish" 2002 for the Moscone Playground gifted by Friends of Moscone Park and Recreation Center.
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into an agreement with Ned Kahn for the safety retrofit of his artwork at the San Francisco International Airport for an amount not to exceed $30,000.
- Motion to approve the artwork proposal of an illuminated book wall sculpture by artist Vince Koloski for the renovated Richmond Branch Library, as recommended by the Richmond Branch Community Artist Selection Committee.
- Motion to authorize the Director of Cultural Affairs to enter into contract with artist Vince Koloski for Final Design, Fabrication, Transportation and Installation of an artwork for the renovated Richmond Branch Library in the amount of $36,000.
- Motion to resume the Art on Market Street Temporary Projects program for 2003, to include 2 to 3 temporary projects for a total amount not to exceed $35,000. Motion
- Committee Reports
- Civic Design Committee--Stanlee Gatti, Chair
- Report from Chair of Civic Design Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Visual Arts Committee -- Ralph Guggenheim, Chair
- Report from Chair of Visual Arts Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Street Artists Committee - Dugald Stermer, Chair
- Report from Chair of Street Artists Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Motion to approve payment of $200 to Mario Hernandez for assisting Program Director in painting permanent and winter holiday spaces on the Downtown sidewalks.
- Executive Committee -- Stanlee Gatti, Chair
- Report from Chair of Executive Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Motion to approve an additional allocation of $1800 for memberships in the Americans for the Arts, the Convention and Visitors Bureau, etc. from the Public Art Fund.
- Motion to adopt a formal policy for Cultural Equity grants that requires grant agreements be signed and returned to our office within 60 days of issuance with no exceptions except in the case of particular permit problems.
- Motion for Cultural Equity Grants to adopt a new policy that requires applicants to Cultural Equity Initiatives - Level Two to have previously received a) at least 1 Cultural Equity Initiatives Level One grant; or b) at least 2 Organizational Project Grants.
- Review and approve the addition of the following individuals to the Cultural Equity Grants Panel Pool:
·John Kreidler, Executive Director of Cultural Initiatives of Silicon Valley
·Robert E. Booker, poet, editor member of the Mayor's Poet Laureate Committee
·Deborah Urban, consultant, former director Nonprofit Finance Fund
·Carol Ting, current director of Nonprofit Finance Fund of SF
·Elissa Perry, writer and educator former program associate at Zeum
·Ave Montague, public relations and administrative consultant
·Aarin Burch is a film producer, videographer and editor
·Heather A. Hines, capacity consultant to private foundations on art & service organizations
·Claire Aguilar producer and Director of Programming, Independent Television Service
·Richard Saiz, Programming Manager, Independent Television Service
·Corey Ohama, documentary film director, instructor and video editor
- Community Arts & Education --Denise Roth, Chair
- Report from Chair of Community Arts & Education Committee regarding activities of the Committee and the Program.
- Motion to enter into contract with Cynthia Bowman, WritersCorps Public Relations Coordinator, from 11/01/02 to 6/30/03 for up to $7,000 from Youth Arts Fund, Hotel Tax Fund, and earned income.
- Reports and Announcements
- Public Comment