STREET ARTISTS COMMITTEE
Wednesday, January 9, 2002
25 Van Ness Ave. Suite 70, San Francisco, California
Explanatory documents are available for public inspection and copying at the Arts Commission office, 25 Van Ness Ave, Suite 60, San Francisco, CA 94102 during regular business hours. Tel: 415-252-2581
Public comment in regard to specific items will be taken before or during consideration of the item.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound producing electronic devices.
- HEARING AND POSSIBLE MOTION TO APPROVE REQUEST BY PROGRAM DIRECTOR FOR ORDINANCE INCREASING THE STREET ARTIST CERTIFICATE FEE FOR FISCAL YEAR 2002-03 TO $93.40 PER QUARTER OR $373.60 PER YEAR
The proposed new certificate fee would be the first of four projected yearly incremental increases commencing July, 2002, in order to ultimately support the Program's budget entirely by its annual fee revenue without its being supplemented by surplus fees savings of prior years which, it is projected, will be depleted in four years.
The fee increase would be the first since July, 1991, and would be subject to annual review by the Street Artists Program Committee.
(In the process of considering this motion, the Street Artists Program Committee may consider and discuss the funds available in the Street Artists Fund.)
(In reference to this item, copies of the Program Director's "PROPOSAL TO INTRODUCE A GRADUAL 4-YEAR INCREASE IN STREET ARTIST CERTIFICATE FEE" were provided to the Commissioners of the Street Artists Program Committee; copies of this may be obtained by the public at the Street Artists Program office, 25 Van ness Avenue, Suite 60, during the hours of 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday.)
- HEARING AND POSSIBLE MOTION TO APPROVE PROGRAM DIRECTOR'S RECOMMENDATION OF DENIAL OF CERTIFICATE OR RENEWAL
- Jeffrey Shedrick - Certificate # 5695 (expired November 15, 2001). Alleged violations: (1) Selling in a location not designated by the Board of Supervisors (55 Stockton Street), 8/26/01 and 10/3/01; (2) Selling within 12 feet of a doorway, 10/3/01; (3) Conducting business in an improper, disorderly, hazardous manner (having a vehicle parked in a non-parking zone adjacent to street artist display), 8/26/01 and 10/3/01. Due to the above charges of minor violations of the street artist ordinance, Mr. Shedrick was notified of an opportunity to have a public hearing with the Program Director to discuss the charges and to agree in writing to comply with the ordinance; because Mr. Shedrick has not requested such a hearing, the Program Director submits the charges with a recommendation of denial of certificate or renewal to the Program Committee.
(In reference to this item, copies of 8/26/01 and 10/3/01 telephone reports received by the Street Artists Program office regarding the above alleged incidents, copies of 8/27/01 "NOTICE OF WARNING" issued to Mr. Shedrick, and copies of 10/4/01 "NOTICE OF INTENT TO RECOMMEND DENIAL OF CERTIFICATE OR RENEWAL" issued to Mr. Shedrick, were provided to the Commissioners of the Street Artists Program Committee; copies of these - with Mr. Shedrick's address deleted - may be obtained by the public at the Street Artists Program office, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 60, during the hours of 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday through Friday.)
- HEARING AND POSSIBLE MOTION TO REQUEST BOARD OF SUPERVISORS TO DESIGNATE FORMER WINTER HOLIDAY SPACES "Z-48", "Z-49", AND "Z-50" (STOCKTON STREET, EAST SIDE, O'FARRELL TO GEARY STREETS; ADJACENT TO MACY'S MEN'S STORE) AS PERMANENT, YEAR-ROUND SPACES
This proposal was introduced by Street Artists Bill and Bob Clark at the previous Street Artists Program Committee meeting of November 14, 2001, as a measure to replace three spaces on Stockton Street, west side, O'Farrell to Ellis Streets, schedeuled to be eradicated in the spring of 2002 by the creation of an adjacent bus zone.
- REPORT BY PROGRAM DIRECTOR
(This item is to allow the Program Director to report on recent Street Artists Program activities and make announcements.)
- PUBLIC COMMENT/OPEN FORUM FOR POSSIBLE PRESENTATION OF PROPOSALS FOR NEW SELLING SPACES
- ADJOURNMENT (requires motion and public comment)
Copyright © 1999-2004 City & County of San Francisco. All rights reserved.
January 2, 2002