September 8, 2010
STREET ARTISTS COMMITTEE
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 70
1. Action. Hearing and possible motion to approve issuance of certificate or renewal of certificate.
Jian Liang Zhao – Certificate #7298. “Notice of Withholding of Certificate or Renewal Pending Hearing” issued to Mr. Zhao for the following alleged violations of the Street Artists Ordinance (Ord. 41-83): (1) Conducting business in an improper manner (soliciting business away from other street artists), 9/6 and 12/23/09; (2) Failing to maintain a pedestrian passageway of 8 feet, 7/27/10; (3) Conducting business in an improper manner (overcharging a customer), 7/28/10.
2. Action. Hearing and possible motion to approve issuance of certificate or renewal of certificate.
Steven Goldberg – Certificate #5142. “Notice of Withholding of Certificate or Renewal Pending Hearing” issued to Mr. Goldberg for the following alleged violations: Conducting business in an improper, hazardous manner (1) Sexual harassment of a street artist; (2) Threatening a street artist; (3) Interfering with lottery space-assignment procedures, 7/30 and 8/10/10.
3. Action. Hearing and possible motion to recommend approval of Advisory Committee of Street Artists and Crafts Examiners screening criteria for “Slumped/Flattened Bottles and Labels”; implementation of criteria to commence thirty (30) days after approval by Full Arts Commission:
a) A raw commercially-manufactured bottle must be cleaned, prepared, slumped, and finished by the street artist.
b) The bottle must show a substantial or significant transformation of its commercial elements by the artist.
c) A bottle’s commercial label or applied images which are not created by the artist must be substantially altered to reflect significant input by the artist to the item as a whole. If the artist does not significantly alter the label or applied images, the artist may embellish the bottle itself; but the embellishment must visually outweigh the unaltered commercial label or images.
4. Discussion. Street Artists Program Director’s Report.
a) Report on proposals for amending lottery space-assignment procedures.
5. Action. Hearing and possible motion to authorize Program Director to request Board of Supervisors continuation of designation of plaza located at 17th Street/Castro Street as an area for street artists with the exception of certain days in which the plaza shall be used exclusively for a street fair such as the Castro Street Fair or Castro CBD-sponsored events.
6. Action. Hearing and possible motion to approve recommendations of Street Artists Liaison Committee meeting of August 11, 2010:
a) Recommendation for Arts Commission to request street artist selling spaces on Port of San Francisco property adjacent to Pier 33 and Pier 35.
b) Recommendation for Advisory Committee of Street Artists and Crafts Examiners to implement, in monitoring street artist displays, a checklist of adherence to regulations by each artist monitored.
c) Recommendation for Arts Commission to appoint at least one (1) member of Street Artists Liaison Committee to also serve as a member of the Street Artists Committee.
7. Discussion. Report by Street Artists Liaison Committee.
8. Discussion. New Business/Public Comment.
September 3, 2010
Explanatory documents are available for public inspection and copying at the Arts Commission office, 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 240, San Francisco, CA 94102 during regular business hours. Tel: INFO: (Howard Lazar 415-252-2583).
Public comment in regard to specific items will be taken before or during consideration of the item.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance (San Francisco Campaign and Governmental Conduct Code Sections 2.100 – 2.160) to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at 25 Van Ness, Suite 220, San Francisco, CA 94102, telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112 and web site.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decision in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact Frank Darby by mail to Administrator, Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 244, San Francisco CA 94102-4689; by phone at (415) 554-7724; by fax at (415) 554-7854; or by email at email@example.com .
Citizens interested in obtaining a free copy of the Sunshine Ordinance can request a copy from Mr. Darby or by printing Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code on the Internet, http:/sfbos.org/sunshine