The Board of Appeals is a quasi-judicial body that provides the public with a final administrative review process for appeals relating to a wide range of City determinations. Originally created under the Charter of 1932, the Board strives to provide an efficient, fair and expeditious public hearing and decision-making process before an impartial panel as a last step in the City's permit issuance process.
The Board hears and decides appeals involving the granting, denial, suspension, or revocation of permits, licenses, and other use entitlements by various City commissions and departments. The granting or denial of variances and other determinations by the Zoning Administrator, and discretionary review decisions and downtown building authorizations of the Planning Commission are included.
The Board of Appeals is comprised of five Board members appointed for staggered four-year members are appointed by the Mayor and two by the President of the Board of Supervisors.
The Board of Appeals provides the public with a final administrative review process for appeals relating to a wide range of City determinations.
The Board's public hearings are held most Wednesday evenings at 5:00 p.m. City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 416, tel. 415.575.6880
Please note: Rescheduling Requests and Withdrawal Forms can now be filled out online (writable PDF format) and submitted via email. Please follow the instructions below. The best webserver to use
s is Internet Explorer.
- Go to the “Resource Center” tab on the of our website.
- Click on “Forms”.
- Open the form of your choice (rescheduling request or withdrawal).
- Fill out the form and include digital signatures. For rescheduling requests, in lieu of a digital signature, you can attach an email from the other party which shows that they agree to rescheduling the appeal to the proposed date. Send the form and emails (when applicable) to the Board Office via email email@example.com or fax (415) 575-6885.
Public Comment: All documents submitted to the Board of Appeals are public records and may be made available to the public for inspection and copying upon request and may appear on the Board’s website or in public documents. If you are a member of the public and are submitting public comment, but would like your name and/or personal contact information to be redacted by Board staff, you must prominently request redaction (preferably bold face type that is underlined) at the beginning of your submission (or if the submission is an attachment to an email, request redaction in the body of the email).
UPDATED HEARING INFORMATION: 24 Street Tree Appeals have been rescheduled from November 6, 2019 to January 8, 2020 at the initiation of the Board’s office.
- Appeal Nos. 19-097, 19-099, 19-100 and 19-101
- Appealing the issuance on August 26, 2019, to San Francisco Public Works, Bureau of Urban Forestry of Public Works Order No. 201771: Approval of a request to remove 48 street trees along 24th Street (between Potrero Avenue and Mission Street) with replacement unless otherwise noted by Public Works; additionally 17 new trees at new planting sites; addresses range from 2700 through 3200 blocks of 24th Street.
- For more information or to provide public comment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Board office at 415-575-6880.
PLEASE NOTE: Board of Appeals has CANCELLED their meeting on December 11, 2019. If you have any questions on this matter, please contact the Board’s office at 415-575-6880.
If you have any questions about this procedure or the Board’s meeting changes, please feel free to contact the Board’s office at 415-575-6880 or email email@example.com
Board of Appeals decisions, forms, Rules, annual reports and other publications and information are available in the Board’s Resource Center.