Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a Day


Deputy Marriage Commissioner for a Day 


California Family Code Section 401(b) allows the Commissioner of Civil Marriages in the County to appoint deputy marriage commissioners to solemnize marriages in California. This is an optional service provided by some counties. Counties are not required by law to provide this service.  Deputization may occur immediately after the San Francisco marriage license is issued to the couple or up to the specific ceremony date (ceremony to be performed thereafter); however, be mindful our office does not deputize on Fridays and only provides this service during limited hours so plan accordingly. 


Applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Deputization will only be granted on a San Francisco County-issued marriage license.  A photocopy of the marriage license must be presented at the time of deputization.
  • Must appear in person in the Office of the County Clerk with valid legal photo identification.
  • Must be at least 18 years old
  • California residency is not a requirement.
  • Must be fluent in the English language.
  • The applicant will be required to take the oath of office swearing/affirming to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of California.
  • A marriage ceremony must be performed in California for the specific couple and date listed on the oath.
  • Deputy Marriage Commissioners for a Day are not City officials and do not speak for the City. They must adhere to statutory requirements concerning the solemnization of marriages, but the City does not otherwise control the content of marriage ceremonies they perform.
  • Deputization service is offered on a walk-in basis Monday to Thursday, 8:00 am to 11:00 am 
  • Fee is $157.00 payable to SF County Clerk.
  • The process takes approximately 30 minutes.


The Office of the County Clerk has the right to refuse deputization if the person is unable to complete the paperwork correctly and/or fails to meet the above requirements. If the requirements above cannot be met, please check other California Counties' websites for their program policies and requirements.





1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl., City Hall #168 SF CA 94102-4678 - Map Directions