Military Priority Wedding


San Francisco welcomes active uniformed members of the United States armed forces serving in deployed or deployable units for priority wedding services. The Office of the San Francisco County Clerk is responsible for issuing marriage licenses and conducting civil marriage ceremonies.

Requirements to Qualify for Military Priority Wedding Service:

  • One or both parties to the marriage must be (an) active uniformed member(s) of the US armed forces currently serving in a deployed or deployable unit, and

  • Active military ID must be presented at the Office of the County Clerk, and

  • Original Declaration of Active Military Service Form DASF-01 must be executed and presented.

How to Prepare for a Military Priority Wedding in San Francisco

  • Download and complete a marriage license application form, and bring it with you, and

  • Both parties must bring valid legal photo identification. Active military personnel must also present their United States Armed Forces active uniformed duty identification card and the original completed Declaration of Active Military Service Form DASF-01, and

  • The ceremony will be performed immediately after the issuance of a marriage license. Up to 6 guests are allowed and all must be present. The ceremony will not be delayed due to guests not present.

    Appointments are approximately 60 minutes for a marriage license and a civil marriage ceremony**.

Legal requirements for marriage in California:

  • A couple must apply and pay for a marriage license issued by a California County Clerk, and

  • The ceremony must take place in California within 90 days of when the marriage license is issued, and

  • The ceremony must be performed by an authorized person under CA Family Code Sections 400-401.

General Requirements:

  • Both parties must be unmarried and not a registered domestic partnership with another party.

  • Both parties must present a valid, unexpired, legal, authentic photo ID in English (driver’s license, passport, state ID card, resident alien card, military ID).

  • If your ID does not contain your full legal name, you must provide a certified copy of your birth record or a social security card.

  • Both parties must appear together to apply for and receive their marriage license.

  • If your previous marriage or State Registered Domestic Partnership (SRDP) ended within the last 90 days, you must bring a CERTIFIED copy of the final divorce decree, annulment, or terminated SRDP issued by the Court or a certified copy of the death certificate. The “certified” copy must have an original court seal and a signature (or signature stamp) of the court clerk. It is the original seal and court clerk signature (certification) that make this a “certified” copy. The “CONFORMED / FILED / ENDORSED” stamp in the top right corner of the copy of the court order (usually issued by your attorney) is NOT the court clerk’s certification and will NOT be accepted.

  • No more than 6 guests total (includes witnesses, children, photographer, etc.)

It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet these requirements.  Absolutely no exceptions will be made.  No refunds offered for failure to meet these requirements!!

Two types of California marriage licenses are available:


  • The marriage ceremony may take place anywhere in the State of California
  • At least one witness is required to be present at your ceremony.
  • Your marriage record is a public record.


  • Requires couples to be living together.  Must sign an affidavit under penalty of perjury for this requirement.
  • No witness is required to be present at your ceremony.
  • Your marriage record is kept confidential from the public.  Certified copies are only available to spouses on the marriage record upon satisfactory proof of identity to the County Clerk.

After issuance, a public marriage license cannot be changed to a confidential marriage license, and a confidential marriage license cannot be changed to a public marriage license, and information supplied on a marriage license cannot be changed.

Certified Copy of Your Marriage Certificate (legal proof of marriage):  You must request and pay for a copy from the County Recorder.  Your marriage certificate is registered with the County Recorder in the county where you purchased your marriage license.  A Public Marriage License issued in San Francisco County must be recorded at the San Francisco Recorder’s Office within ten (10) days from the date of the marriage ceremony.  The marriage officiant may also mail the completed public marriage certificate to the Recorder's Office. Certified copies of a public marriage certificate can be purchased at the Recorder’s Office during normal business hours, M-F (8:00 AM - 4:00 PM).  Acceptable form of payment includes Cash, cashier's check, money order, traveler's check, State of California check made payable to San Francisco Assessor-Recorder.  Out-of-state checks or credit cards are not accepted.  ATM machine located in City Hall in Room175A.

No form of litter is permitted to be thrown anywhere in the building (includes outside steps). Helium balloons, alcohol, or knives are not allowed into the building. The guest limit is 6 people. No amplified music.

Traveling to San Francisco for your wedding?  Go to for information on hotel packages, event locations, wedding resources, and more.

**Excludes wait times and unforeseeable delays

Military Priority Wedding Application