An applicant must establish proof of identity and San Francisco residency when applying for an SF City ID Card at the County Clerk's Office. An application submitted on behalf of a minor must be completed by the minor's parent or legal guardian.
CITY ID CARD RENEWALS AND CHANGE OF ADDRESS (APPOINTMENT AND FEE REQUIRED):
- Identity Requirement: Proof of Identity may be satisfied by surrendering a current unexpired SF City ID Card issued to a cardholder who previously applied on a 14+ years of age application. SF City ID Cardholders who were previously issued an SF City ID Card as a minor (13 years and younger) must meet the Proof of Identity and Proof of Residency requirements for applicants age 14+ years of age as listed in SF Administrative Code Section 95.2. Proof of Identity cannot be satisfied by surrendering a “minor” (13 years and younger) San Francisco City ID Card.
- Residency Requirement: Proof of Residency must be presented from the approved list of documents and dated within 30 days of applying for a renewal of an SF City ID Card.
CITY ID CARD LEGAL NAME CHANGE (eff. 11/2013) (APPOINTMENT AND FEE REQUIRED): Must present all of the following documents:
- Identity Requirement: Proof of Identity must be presented from the approved list of documents.
- Residency Requirement: Proof of Residency must be presented from the approved list of documents and dated within 30 days displaying the applicant’s new legal name.
- Court Ordered/Decree Requirement: Must present an original or certified copy of the court order or decree issued by the Clerk of such court displaying both his/her former legal name (matching the name displayed in the Proof of Identity document) AND his/her new court-ordered legal name. Court order or decree must be a legible and unaltered original or certified copy with a government seal, stamp, or other official imprints.
PROOF OF IDENTITY AND RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS
List of Acceptable Identity and Residency Documents (PDF)
If a card is lost, stolen, or destroyed, a new appointment must be made; the applicant must apply and meet all requirements once again, and pay the fee for a replacement card.
PROOF OF IDENTITY
Valid original Proof of Identity Documents must be presented. Photocopies are not accepted.
ONE of the following original unexpired documents (must display applicant's photograph, full name, and date of birth):
Or, TWO of the following original unexpired documents. At least one document must display the applicant's date of birth and photograph.
*The photograph requirement does not apply to applicants 13 and under
- US or Foreign Passport:
- US Driver's License
- US State ID
- US Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- Consular Identification (CID)
- Photo ID Card issued by another Country to its citizens or nationals that meets the requirements of San Francisco Administrative Code 95.1(a)
NOTE: Applicants 13 and under may also present:
- Birth certificate (certified copy; photograph not required)
- Certified US or Foreign Birth Certificate.
- Social Security Card
- National ID Card with photo, name, address, date of birth, and expiration date
- Foreign Driver's License
- US or Foreign Military Identification Card
- Current Visa issued by a government agency
- US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) authorization letter
- California Educational Institution Identification Card: elementary, middle, secondary and post-secondary schools
NOTE: Applicants 13 and under may also present the following (at least one document must display the date of birth; photograph not required):
- Official medical record
- Official school record
PROOF OF RESIDENCY
On the date and time of appointment, Proof of Residency Documents must be:
ONE of the following documents containing the applicant's name and residential address within San Francisco:
- Utility bill dated within the last 30 days. A utility bill is defined as gas, electric, garbage, water, internet/cable/landline.
- Local property tax statement or mortgage payment receipt dated within the last 30 days
- Bank account statement dated within the last 30 days
- Proof of a minor currently enrolled in a San Francisco school
- Employment pay stub dated within the last 30 days
- A written ruling, order, or notice from the Residential Rent Stabilization and Arbitration Board dated within the last 30 days
- Jury summons or court order issued by a state or federal court and dated within the last 30 days
- Federal or state income tax or refund statement dated within the last 30 days
- Insurance bill (homeowner’s, renter’s, health, life, or automobile insurance) dated within the last 30 days
- Written verification issued by a homeless shelter that receives City funding confirming at least 15 days of residency within the last 30 days
- Written verification issued by a hospital, health clinic, or social services agency that receives City funding confirming at least 15 days of residency within the last 30 days
- If a certified copy of a marriage certificate is presented at the time of application, an applicant may prove residency using documents bearing the name of their spouse.
NOTE: For applicants 13 and under unable to provide residency documents, a parent or legal guardian may verify the child's residency, provided the parent or guardian would be eligible for a City Identification Card themselves.