Video Marriage Services
Please note: City Hall in-person appointments will be available soon for Marriage Services (marriage license and ceremonies) and City ID. Please stay tuned this week.
To keep our staff and community safe and avoid the spread of the novel coronavirus, our office at City Hall remains closed to in-person services for the foreseeable future.
At this time, we are provisionally conducting marriage services through video conference pursuant to Executive Order N-58-20 (as amended by N-71-20) issued by Governor Newsom. To complete this process, couples will need reliable, high-speed internet access, a mobile device with MS Teams software or a computer with an up-to-date browser, and audio-visual capabilities (i.e., microphone, speakers, and webcam). Couples must be physically together and located in the State of California during the appointment.
*Please contact us if you want an appointment for marriage services but cannot pay by credit card or if you do not have the required technology. The best way to reach us at this time is through our online form or by calling 3-1-1.
San Francisco County Marriage Fees (payable in advance and non-refundable):
$205 Marriage License Issuance and Civil Ceremony Reservation
$112 Marriage License Issuance Reservation
$93 Civil Ceremony Reservation (Must have valid Marriage License)
$15 Certified Copy of the Marriage Certificate
- Absolutely no refund or credit is given for any reason including but not limited to cancellation, error, failure to show, or any unforeseen circumstance.
- Couples MUST submit the required documents at least 3 business days in advance of the appointment.
- Appointments are automatically opened on a rolling 30-day cycle. The scheduler does not distinguish between sold-out dates and dates yet to be opened. Both situations will be greyed out.
- Marriage License with Civil Ceremony appointments is available Monday through Friday.
- Marriage License only appointments are currently available on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
- If you already have a valid, unexpired marriage license and would like to request a civil ceremony, please make your request by completing this form.
To proceed, you MUST complete the following steps:
- Review State of California Marriage Requirements and Name Equality Act of 2007.
- Make an appointment via our online appointment system and pay for services. Use BOOK NOW button below.
Be sure to choose the correct type of appointment:
- Video Marriage License
- Video Marriage License and Ceremony
3. Send the following information and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with
SUBJECT LINE: (Date and time of appointment) and (names of applicants).
- Completed Marriage License Application. 1) Public Marriage Application; OR 2) Confidential Marriage Application
- Copies of valid, unexpired government-issued photo identification (front and back) for both parties. Examples of acceptable identification include Driver’s License or State Identification, Passport, Military ID, Consulate Card.
- If photo identification does not contain your full legal name, you must also submit a certified copy of a birth certificate, social security card, and/or certified copy of court order name change showing your full legal name.
- If either party was previously married and the marriage ended by dissolution, divorce, or annulment within the last 90 days, you must also submit a certified copy of the final judgment issued by the court. Certified copies include a court seal and court clerk signature.
- Phone numbers and email addresses for both parties.
All information must be legible and complete and sent at least 3 business days before the appointment. All documents and IDs must be available for County Clerk staff review by video during the appointment.
Important Note: There is a high demand for marriage services at this time. Please email the required documents and information at least 3 business days in advance of the appointment. If information is not received or is not complete, the appointment will be canceled and made available to another party. Fees are non-refundable. Appointments are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
4. Submitted documents will be reviewed by County Clerk staff in the order of upcoming appointments. Please do not be discouraged if you do not hear from someone immediately. We are working diligently but with limited staff.
5. A Deputy County Clerk will be assigned to your appointment once the required documents have been reviewed and approved. They will reach out to you before the appointment.
6. A Microsoft TEAMS meeting will be set up and a link sent to you via email just prior to the appointment date. This link will be used to connect to the video appointment at the scheduled date and time.
- Each person must have a unique email address.
- You must have a computer or mobile device that has audio and video capability. We cannot conduct the appointment without seeing you and hearing you clearly.
- Couples must be in the same location and in the State of California during the appointment.
7. At the appointment, please be ready to show the original ID that was submitted.
- Guests will not be allowed on the Microsoft TEAMS conference during the appointment. Couples have the option of inviting guests to live stream from a different platform and separate device if desired.
- You will need a virtual witness for Public Marriage Ceremony appointments.