Mayor's Task Force on Human Trafficking - February 27, 2019 - Minutes

Meeting Date: 
February 27, 2019 - 1:30pm

Mayor’s Task Force on Anti-Human Trafficking Meeting Minutes

February 27, 2019           1:30 pm - 3:30 pm           25 Van Ness, Room 70  



  1. Welcome/Introductions/Check-In [Emily Murase]


  1. Minutes from 12-12-18 Meeting adopted. [Tony Flores, Gena Castro Rodriguez]


  1. Discussion of Human Trafficking Recommendations [All]

Dr. Murase went over the agenda for today’s meeting and took questions about the process for creating and approving recommendations.

Attendees split up into discussion group by the three main committees: Sex Work and Trafficking Policy Impact Committee, Youth Trafficking Committee, and Adult Trafficking Committee. There was also a discussion group for people who had not been to a Mayor’s Task Force meeting before.

Each discussion group came up with a few recommendations for the Task Force to work on in next 1-2 years. The Adult committee discussion group made suggestions about a public awareness campaign, training for transportation providers, a 24-hour hotline for adult survivors, and more leadership opportunities for adult survivors on this committee. The Sex Work and Trafficking Policy Impact Committee made suggestions about assessing existing trainings and developing new ones, funding research and data collection to improve quality, funding for employment options, and amending the name of this Task Force. The Youth committee made suggestions about creating a business-community collaboration for training and jobs and implementing the youth housing recommendations.

Dr. Murase thanked all of the groups for coming up with recommendations. Policy Fellow Kyoko Peterson will work with the discussion groups to write-up and flesh out the recommendations. She will then send them out to the Task Force for further review and feedback. There will then be a vote at the April 24 General Task Force meeting.

  1. Announcements

The next committee meeting is the Youth Trafficking meeting, which will be on March 13, 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm, in 25 Van Ness room 610.