Permit Applications

LAST UPDATED August 26, 2020: During the COVID-19 emergency, if you are seeking to activate an outdoor space with entertainment and/or amplified sound, please contact Entertainment Commission staff prior to submitting a permit application at or leave a message on our voicemail at 628-652-6030 with the following information: 1) your name and affiliation 2) best email to reach you 3) date and location of proposed activation 4) indicate if there is a live performance, or just amplified sound 5) and describe the type of activation (examples: Shared Spaces, street closure, farmer's market, small gathering)


As of July 2003, the City and County of San Francisco requires most temporary and fixed-place entertainment-related places and events to be approved by the San Francisco Entertainment Commission.

It is important that you submit ALL of the information required on your application to better assist the Entertainment Commission to process your application. We recommend you contact Kaitlyn Azevedo, Deputy Director, 628-652-6038, to set up an appointment for detailed assistance with all brick-and-mortar permit applications.

The Entertainment Commission believes that ensuring cooperation and harmony among entertainment venues, local authorities, and neighbors is essential to the city's well-being, and we appreciate your time and commitment to fostering a vibrant, healthy and safe nightlife!

For information and tools to help you successfully operate an entertainment business in San Francisco, see the San Francisco Nightlife Business Handbook and other resources at



For Brick-and-Mortar Establishments:

All Brick-and-Mortar permits will require an in-person appointment with Deputy Director Kaitlyn Azevedo (628-652-6038, in order to review materials and prepare for a public hearing with the Entertainment Commission. All permit applications, other than the Limited Live Performance permit, may use the Standard PDF documents “permit application” and “letter of intent” in order to apply. Each person owning 10% or more of the business will need to fill out their own “permit application” PDF. Please fill out these two Standard PDF documents, and if you are applying for the Place of Entertainment and/or Extended Hours Premises permits, please also fill out the “supplemental questionnaire” Word document. Finally, if you are applying for the Limited Live Performance permit, you may fill out the PDF application online. The required signatures on the LLP application will be completed in-person during the intake meeting.  Please note that if you apply online, you will still be required to schedule an in-person intake meeting with the Deputy Director to review your documents. 

For Events:

**Important: If you’re inquiring about doing an outdoor event with entertainment/amplified sound, contact an EC staff member prior to submitting an application. For an event at a Shared Spaces permitted location, keep checking back here for updates.**

For event permit-related inquiries, contact Crystal Stewart-Kennedy, Permit Administrator, 628-652-6035,

  • One Time Outdoor Event Permit*
    This is for an outdoor event with entertainment or amplified sound.
    Apply Online

  • Sound Truck Permit*
    Apply Online                  

  • One Time Indoor Entertainment Event Permit
    Apply Online

  • South East Community Center Event/One Night Dance Permit
    Download PDF          What is this permit? 

  • Circus Permit
    For a Circus Permit, contact Kaitlyn Azevedo, Deputy Director, 628-652-6038,, for application instructions. 

*The Entertainment Commission’s jurisdiction includes outdoor events with entertainment and/or amplified sound on City streets and sidewalks and other non-residential property, Port of San Francisco property, and Treasure Island. For events on SF Recreation & Park, Presidio Trust, or U.S. National Park Service/GGNRA property, refer to those agencies for outdoor amplified sound and event permitting.