To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 


held at Ingleside Presbyterian Church   1345 Ocean @ Granada, San Francisco, CA   94112


The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters 

                                                        stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up



(ACTION) Roll call

The Chair called the meeting to order at 5:40pm  Comms Fetiçō, Chuck, Rodriguez, Stiglich were present at the gavel.  Comm Hale arrived at 5:57pm.   Comm Lingad Ricci was excused.

President Queen welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked Leamond McGriff for helping arrange the space availability.  He also thanked the church for the use of the space.  Mr. McGriff also added his words of welcome to everyone and thanked Rev. Gordon of the church.  President Queen then introduced Judson True, Supervisor Sandoval’s aide, who made several comments to the assembled group, welcoming them, and emphasizing the importance of developing a community based “infra structure” that could serve as a pivotal resource for the planning and implementation of community based reforms and improvements that benefit the district.  He said the Supervisor was aware of and supportive of the concept of community based planning and encouraged everyone to work toward this objective.



(ACTION) Review and approval of August 24, 2005

the minutes were approved without discussion, as written.   (public comments)   There were none.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission
Rich Perino, Pres, DPOA, reflected on the passing of Sharon Bretz, who was a former adult probation officer and city commissioner.


(DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s report

The Chief reported that they were making progress in addressing disproportionate minority confinement, having talked to the SE Community Center’s Commission regarding holding court at that facility one day a week, and having POs stationed there to do attendant work.  The proposal is before that commission, the Dept is awaiting an answer.  He also mentioned that the Dept had submitted a progress report on Log Cabin Ranch, to the JPC’s Program Committee (see their minutes).

·          report on Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative 

Garry Bieringer reported on his trip back to Missouri to visit their residential facility operations. He noted the strong peer culture there that ensured behavior management, and that their aftercare planning included looking at detention alternatives rather than incarceration alternatives.  He said this was a fundamental difference in perspective.  He also said that the language access subcommittee is deep in discussions on the extent of the problem and the ways to address it.  Alfredo Bojorquez also commented on the work of the language access committee and emphasized the importance of resolving this as soon as possible so that service are not denied our clients, and we do not violate federal laws or other ordinances.

·          Dept budget status (no report)

·          report on Juvenile Hall replacement project

      Chief Siffermann reported that there was a walk through of the facility, which Comm Chuck attended.  He

      mentioned that in preparing for the new facility,  he was taken by the sensitivity of artwork in the new

      space, which youth contributed to, and gave him pause to re-think every process of how they      

      did the work in the old facility, so that they can bring a similar sensitivity to the work in their new home.

The Chief acknowledged the support of the Annie E Casey Foundation and Vera Foundation for underwriting the expenses of the Dept’s visit to St. Louis to learn from the Missouri model.

Comm Hale asked if there was any update on the topic of naming facility space.  Chief Siffermann said he took it up with the City Attorney’s office and they gave him an understanding of the process. He’ll put that in a report to the commissioner.

·          report on language access issues

this was a request from Comm Chuck, who just wanted to know the progress being made on this (reported in previous item above).

(public comments)   there were none.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION)  Update on any discussions held regarding implementation of district based planning in preparation of next year’s activities.

Liz Jackson-Simpson reported that there was a matrix developed in concert with the Chief, regarding a format for proceeding with district based planning.  The basic tenets of the matrix is to convene the JJCC, a stakeholder group consisting of almost every city agency dealing with services, community groups, parent groups, the youth commission, to advise on decisions on spending, in October.  Over several meetings they will look at the challenges faced by the Dept and the courts, and begin to map out what services are wanted and what gaps exist.  Recommendations will be made for how to spend (particularly TANF, JJBAG, JJCPA) funds, and taken to the Chief to guide the Dept.  they target a Feb. date for contracting.

Comm Queen said he was pleased that there will be a process to initiate this, given the acknowledgement from the Supervisor’s office that it is a commendable concept, and that there needs to be an identifiable, strong infra-structure in the community that can assure neighborhood capacity to responsibly use grants and provide services.

(public comments)
Director of youth services, Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center, asked, in regards to district based planning, what consideration is given to city wide agencies that provide services across district lines.

Comm Queen said that the term district based didn’t mean to only include resources that operate specifically in that district, just that resources and stakeholders in each district can decide what is best for that district.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Presentation by community representatives on issues of community needs, and community-driven, district based planning strategies, with possible recommendations for future actions.

Alfredo Bojorquez echoed the last speaker’s concerns for how multi-district operations fit into the decisions coming out of district based planning.

Mary Harris, OMI Neighbors in Action, is concerned with getting alternatives and programs in the OMI. She asked if the Commission could help in finding money to expand good programs that are in the community. There is also the need to find programs for those between 18 and 24 yrs of age.

Leamond McGriff, commented that he was very interested in helping pull together whoever shares the same concerns to see how a strong infra structure can be created where they can successfully claim funds to support needed services and programs in the community.

M. Harris commended the work of the Safe Haven and Family Resource Center.

Bill Pearce announced various community service events that youth are holding, Oct. 15, 28 and 30th.

Mike Brown, Inner City Youth, said that the critical issue is jobs, and has been since long ago. He expressed his frustration with how funds are spread around without concern for those organizations that are in the community. He thought some priorities were misplaced.

Ben Bautista, Straightforward Club, announced that they are running their boxing program at the Oceanview Rec and Park  Tue/Wed/Thurs   1:30-5:30pm.  He spoke in support of district based planning.

James Lancaster, Straightforward Club, spoke about his efforts in developing a youth council to reach out to students in all schools, and putting together different activities with them, such as hip hop theater, fashion shows, boxing, etc.

He’ll be running a computer-learning center in the Hayes Valley community.

Renard Monroe, IT Bookman Community Center, 446 Randolph st., said the community is frustrated and looking for answers.  There is a great need for services for 18-24 yr old youth. Job programs are insufficient (no openings) He’s willing to speak to anyone to try and develop some answers.

Kwanza Morton, PO, mentioned some of the activities that the Southwestern Neighborhood Improvement Committee, and the efforts of a faith-based network.

Michael Chappie Grice, an elder in the church.  He said that by now we know what works and what doesn’t, so we should continue to identify quality programming, especially for young people, and seek for a zero population in the juvenile facility.  He advocated for mentoring, teaching technology, and exposure to the great outdoors (mentioning an outward bound type program he is helping set up).

Ben Bautista announced a drawing contest Nov 5, with cash prizes for winners. He left flyers about it.


(DISCUSSION) Committee reports, other reports

Comm Hale suggested setting up some form of fee for service payments to providers.  He thanked everyone for their comments.

·          President’s comments

Comm Queen said he appreciated everyone coming out to the meeting. He said he hoped that by the next time the commission comes out to the community, it will have come together and is able to show city hall what it is capable of.  He thanked Leamond McGriff for his work.  He also noted that Chief Siffermann is really trying to get dialog going in the dept to improve the work (initiating a series of brown bag lunch sessions), and thanked the Chief and Asst Chief for coming out to important community meetings like the one on community policing held Oct. 25 in the Western Addition.

·          Program committee

      Comm Rodriguez reviewed that they discussed the data collection process that had been 

used, and the problems encountered by it.   They also spoke about ongoing safety issues for POs.  the issue of district based planning was briefly reviewed and seems to be progressing.  Allen Nance, Asst. CPO, summarized his work in reviewing the status of Log Cabin Ranch (fully covered in his written report). Much needs to be done, but they have begun identifying and initiating actions that can immediately address some things.

Chief Siffermann commended A. Nance for the hard work and long hours he has spent in this task, and said it has renewed an energy that has not been there a while now.

  Finance committee

Comm Fetiçō summarized various points discussed: contracts with CBOs are in various stages of completion.  Personal services contracts no longer need to be reviewed by the Mayor’s Budget office. A question of whether we can return to a volunteer chaplaincy program.   The ongoing exploration of merging two counselor classes for LCRS and JH.  The workman comp. Costs, as well as OT are being reduced.  They will be searching for a better evaluation tool to assess efficacy of funding services.

Comm Queen thanked Comm Fetiçō for his close review of the Dept’s finances, which has never been done to this degree of seriousness.

Comm Hale didn’t know what the “hang up” was in efforts to merge the two classes.  He also questioned the topic of changing the chaplaincy program.

Comm Stiglich commented that the Finance Committee is having “penny” conversations, really looking at every penny in the Budget, where it’s going and if that’s the best use of it, and in this respect, the question of the monies going to the chaplaincy program was raised.  It is not being targeted, to the exemption of any other line item.  Everything is being analyzed.

(public comments)
Alfredo Bojorquez, commented in regards to data gathering –as discussed in the Programs Committee meeting—that nobody is against collecting relevant data. It is a question of who does the gathering and how many times does this seem to be done repeatedly, the same surveys, by different providers.

In regards to the chaplaincy program, he did agree that it needs to be re examined, because his church, St. Peters, has long provided spiritual services to the JH population.

Liz Jackson-Simpson asked if the Commission would like a report from the chaplaincy group? Chief Siffermann said he has already had that in his notes to do for the next committee meeting.

Mike Brown said there needs to be a transition house for youth coming out of LCRS and back into the community.  There has not been one for many years.

Director of the family resource ctr was alarmed by the talk of arming POs. She strongly opposed this.

She also is very disappointed there isn’t enough language appropriate services for non-native English speakers in the city.  This is a responsibility of government. She emphasized the need for developing a close relationship and trust between the community and the dept.

Comm Stiglich commented that this topic (arming POs) was only one aspect of a larger discussion about PO safety.  It is not enough to just say if you were a “good guy” vs. a “butt-hole” you wouldn’t have a problem.  There is a valid concern about the safety of those POs who are seen as law enforcement, but it did begin a larger inspection of how the Dept relates to the community and how maybe that could be improved.

Greg Gordon, PO, spoke in favor of arming some POs. There is a need at times.

Rich Perino, Pres. DPOA, said POs are not social workers, community workers, but peace officers, with obligations as such.  This places them in a different light, and opens them up to different potential dangerous scenarios that the former do not face.

L. McGriff, spoke in opposition to arming POs. He said they need to learn different skills to de-escalate situations.

Henry Medina, IFR, said that he’s never felt fear for his safety while working in the community. He is also opposed to arming POs.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission
Alfredo Bojorquez, speaking for the providers network, said that the Dept was warned before hand –by line staff and CBOs--, that their planned organization of the probation services division would not work, but they went ahead and did it anyhow, and now the results show that it is counter productive and has created nothing but problems.  He asked that it be replaced with one that works.

Comm Queen said that the Chief is taking those concerns to heart and is looking into re designing probation services.

Comm Hale commented that there is a lack of effort from San Francisco, seeking federal grants. This goes for the Dept and community organizations.

The Chief said that where he came from, they had specific staff that searched out grant money.  He is now setting up meetings with the Zellerbach Foundation for a modest grant.

Rich Perino, Pres of DPOA.  Said that Dept money goes to CBO services at a rate of two times the amount given to employ POs.

Erin Brown, of CARC and IFR, stated that there is an extraordinary level of hostility from some POs

toward the CARC.

Henry Medina, IFR, speaking about the PrIDE survey, said that the “word” out on the street with the kids is to not answer any of those questions.

Comm Stiglich said that if not PrIDE, there still needs to be an evaluation of program services.



(ACTION)  Adjournment     There being no further business, the Chair adjourned the meeting at 7:50pm.


in Honor of Sharon Bretz