To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999  

held at City Hall rm 400, 1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place San Francisco, CA 94102

The minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up

1.          (ACTION) Roll Call
The meeting was called to order at 5:35 pm by the President. Comms. Bonilla, Chuck, Dupre, Grossman were present at the gavel. Comms. Ricci and Richard arrived at 5:37 and 6:32, respectively.
2.          (ACTION) Review and approval of March 27, 2002 meeting minutes
The minutes were approved as written.
(public comments) There was none.
3.          (DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s Report
a.          Status report on Juvenile Hall Replacement Project
J. Chow Winship said that there were 8 requests from the Bd of Supervisors to have a feasibility study done on a smaller facility. The reports are due on April 27. Question: how is the cost of the report to be paid? It’ll be wrapped into the total cost of the new facility. Comm. Hale asked if there is projection for the youth population in SF and the possible need for a 150 bed facility? J. Chow Winship said that the reports are only cost estimates for smaller facilities, as requested.
The architects delivered the 95% construction documents to the various review bodies which are now looking at them. The current estimated cost for the project is $42.75 mil.
The modulars are in place, and will be up and running in June. The timeline is for a June date for bids, with construction starting in Nov. ending in Mar 2005. Dept 30 relocation will complete in Oct.of this year.
Comm. Grossman asked about the Library project. Winship said that during the relocation/construction of the project, the library program will be scaled back from its current size, with youth selecting books from a roaming bookcart.
b.          Update on Budget Status
Ed Lopatin reported that they are having continuing discussions regarding ways to meet the budget reduction targets. Freezing open unfilled positions will be a large portion of this.
Where will the position cuts hit hardest? The Chief said that Level 2 cuts will come from 26 positions, half of them in probation. The upcoming hearings for the Dept’s budget are: April 30, 10am.. and May 21st.
c.          Library Funding FY 02-03
Tim Diestel reported tht the SF Library has agreed to not only fully shoulder the librarian position, but will also furnish the new library in the new facility. It has been designated as a branch of the library.
d.          Special Presentation by Gregg Lowder, Director, Mayor’s Criminal Justice Council
Mr. Lowder gave a short biography of his past work. He then briefly described the work that MCJC is doing as it relates to juvenile justice. It collaborates and coordinates with a number of bodies both governmental and community based, to do projects relating to public safety. It also identifies, obtains and disperses grant monies. Its largest grant ever will be the $15 mil for the new juvenile hall project.
It was asked how the Commission could make public statements of support for the continuation of TANF. The Chief said maybe going through the City’s lobbyist. Maybe meeting select representatives from the county to have discussions on TANF.
(public comments) There was none.
4.          Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission. There was none.
5.          (ACTION) Review and possible approval of the protocols for the LogCabin Ranch School Advisory Committee
Comm Richard reported that he had had a discussion with the City Attorney’s office. There were some questions regarding the specific goals of the committtee.
Comm. Grossman wondered why there was a limited duration of existence for the committee? She thought there was a lot of time being used for a “simple” thing as getting an advisory committee going.
R. Sanchez said that there needs to be a reference made in #7, to the SF Admin Code 67.6b, with meetings not to be held at LCRS, and also less than a quorum of the committee visiting LCRS at one time.
Comm. Dupré moved to approve the protocols with the stated amendments.
After taking public comment on this, the question was called and upon voice vote, passed 7-0.
(public comments)
Bob Schmitt of the Delinquency Prevention Commission said that it would be important to construct the committee with the right people who already know what needs to be done, so you don’t have to push them in any particular direction. With different points of view on different aspects of the LCRS operation, you’ll have a more comprehensive result.
6.          (ACTION) Consideration and possible action to approve Dept. anti harassment policy/procedures for detained youth.
This item was tabled. Comm. Hale stated that there were concerns from the City Attorney’s office, regarding its impact on any collective bargaining agreements. Once things are cleared up, the item will be dealt with.
(public comments)
7.          (DISCUSSION) Committee Chair Reports
·          Program Committee: report on the discussions held in meeting of April 16, 2002
Comm. Dupre reported that there was good discussion regarding the LCRS Advisory Committee protocols (which are on the agenda tonight) and the final discussion on the horse program. The minutes of that meeting are available on the city’s website.
Comm. Hale asked about PrIDE. Comm. Dupré said that there was a previous discussion and presentation on PrIDE in a past meeting so it was not discussed this time. The Chief said that the Dept was going to ask for a joint Program/Finance committee meeting to review the RFP that will go out to integrate the PrIDE activities in the Dept. The amount of the contract is projected at $225K.
It was asked whether the courts or others have had any reactions to any of the outcomes of the PrIDE programs.
·          Facilities Committee April 19, 2002
Comm. Chuck reviewed the discussion (minutes available on the City’s website). No actions were taken in committee. Comm. Hale said that the Commission needs to go on record with a position on the new facility. He asked the Facilities Committee to draft up a position statement for the full Commission to act on at the May Commission meeting. He referred to a document he had, which reviewed the history of the facility.
(public comments) There was none.
8.          Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission
There was none.
9.          (DISCUSSION) Announcements, requests for future agenda items.
Comm. Grossman said that in reviewing the last commission meeting, a request for another report from the JDAI was supposed to be agendized for this meeting. She asked that it be included in May’s meeting. The Chief said that he’ll include a report on JDAI in his report next month. Comm. Hale said that maybe it would be better to have Mr. J. Bell come and do the report. It was requested that the Visitacion Valley Beacon Ctr be looked into as a possible site for the May meeting.
Comm. Hale also acknowledged the appointment of Tim Diestel to the Directorship of Juvenile Hall.
10.          (ACTION) Adjournment
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:25pm.