To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 




Held at City Hall, Room 416, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place San Francisco

The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up

1. (ACTION) Roll Call
The meeting was called to order at 6:15pm by the President. Comms. Hale, Drake, Aramburo were present at the gavel. Comm. Dupre arrived at 6:17 pm.
2. (ACTION) Review and approval of January 18, 2001 meeting minutes
Comm. Hale made a correction on pg. 2, to his comments, adding "ful" to meaning. With this correction, the minutes were approved.
3. (DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s Report:
a. Status Report on Juvenile Hall Replacement Project
Chris Bigalow reported that things were progressing as smoothly as can be expected and that there were no unanticipated hang ups in the schedule right now.
Bigalow introduced Jill Manson of the Arts Commission, and she described the activities being carried out with the artists who will do the public arts project in the new facility. They haven’t anything carved in stone (so to speak) nor have they taken their ideas to the Art Commission yet, and she said they hopefully will be able to get drafts of visuals for the Commission to see at a follow up meeting. Comm. Hale encouraged having exhibit spaces for showcasing work by past and current detainees.
b. FY 2000-2001 and FY 2001-2002 Operating Budget Update (combined with agenda item #5)
c. Highlights from last Commission meeting to present. The Chief gave a short report on the following:
· SFUSD Development Day at Log Cabin Ranch Dr. Michael Lindsey, Presenter, (Friday, 1/19/01) This was one of 2 staff development trainings at the Ranch.
· The Chief gave an Informational Presentation to the Human Rights Commission on the SFJPD Prevention and Intervention Services (Thursday, 1/25/01, at 6:00 PM, in City Hall)
· Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council Meeting on AB 1913 (Thursday, 2/8/01, 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM, in the YGC Cafeteria) MCJC reported on what to expect for this AB 1913 funding availability. On Feb. 23rd there will be a workgroup meeting, and on March 2. another one.
· Volunteer Auxiliary Annual Dinner - Jack Jacqua Honoree (Saturday, 2/3/01, at the Pan Pacific Hotel)
· SFJPD Farewell Celebration for Cheyenne Bell (Friday, 1/26/01, at the Southeast Community Facility)
· Briefing on SFJPD and tour of Juvenile Hall for Supervisor Gerardo Sandoval (Tuesday, 2/13/01, at 3:00 PM)
d. Trends/Emerging Issues/Upcoming Events
Tuesday, 3/6/01, 10:00 AM to Noon, Board of Supervisors Hearing on Juvenile Justice Issues
This is a committee meeting of the Bd..
Wednesday, 3/7/01, Mayor’s Crime Summit
Wednesday, 3/7/01, Juvenile Justice Coordinating Council Meeting 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM, in the YGC
Upcoming series of articles by Joan Ryan, columnist with the Chronicle
d. Staff Commendation
There were two counselors who were commended.
4. (ACTION) Election of new Officers.
Comm. Drake nominated Comm. Hale for the Presidency. Comm. Aramburo nominated Comm. Dupre for the Vice Presidency. There were no other nominations. Upon voice vote, the two nominees were elected by acclaimation.
Comm. Julian announced that while he will retire from the Commission, he enjoyed his tenure on the Commission and was satisfied that they have had an excellent relationship with the Dept and Chief. He has offered to continue to participate at Commission meetings until a named replacement is made, in order to maintain a meeting quorum. With this, he turned over the gavel to the newly elected President.
Comm. Dupré expressed his appreciation for the work and direction given by Comm. Julian.
He also thanked Comm. Jackson-Drake for her work in the Finance Committee. Comm. Jackson-Drake stated that while her term is also up, she will remain on the Commission until her replacement is named so as to ameliorate any harships brought about by vacancies in the Commission.
Comm. Hale praised Comm. Julian’s leadership in promoting the leadership of others; the commissioners, the Dept staff, the community.
There was a short ceremony presenting two certificates to Comm. Julian, one from the Mayor, the other from the Commission itself.
Tim Diestal commented that he uses Comm. Julian as an example for the kids in juvenile hall, and he thanked Comm. Julian for being a role model that they could aspire to.
The Chief said that it was a pleasure working with both Comm. Julian and Comm. Jackson-Drake, and that the Dept has been able to move forward only through the professionalism and commitment of individuals like themselves on the commission.
5. (ACTION) Consideration and possible action on Finance Committee’s recommendation to submit Department’s FY 2001-02 budget, to the Mayor.
Ed Lopatin reviewed the information presented to the Finance Committee and highlighted several items that were brought to the attention of the Committee (minutes of the committee meeting available at JPC office)..
Comm. Hale asked what items the Dept will need to develop funds for if the City doesn’t approve them.
Comm. Jackson-Drake said that the Mayor’s office needs to be aware of the affect of the budget on the safety of the children we work with, and it must be advocated for on these terms.
Comm. Arámburo asked about the analyst. She was familiar with the name. She asked the Dept about the ultimate loss of TANF funds.
She asked about the OT on pg. 19 and what was the actual reduction. Lopatin said that the figure $169K was the budgeted amount of OT, while the $799K was the actual spending by the Dept. He said that even if the Hall were at full staffing, and they had perfect management, they’d need OT on the level of $400 -$500K. As an example, the Chief mentioned that last year there was a youth confined to SFGH, who required a assigned Dept staff 24/7 for 6 mos. This cost more than $150K alone.
Comm. Arámburo asked about specialized services on pg. 23. Lopatin said that that amount is now covered under TANF. Question: what happens to that after TANF. Lopatin said that there is no way to absorb it. Comm. Arámburo mentioned that a DPW staff told her that about 10 yrs ago, the Ranch budget for DPW projects was about $300K, now down to a fraction of that.
Comm. Arámburo raised the issue of the Commission’s Executive Secretary’s position upgrade, something that has been worked on for more than a year. Lopatin said that if DHR approved (recommended it) they would do the upgrade for the upcoming FY budget.
Comm. Jackson-Drake moved to approve the Financial Committee’s recommendation. Comm. Dupré seconded. Comm. Hale commented that there was extended discussion in the Finance Committee, with public comments, so he was satisfied that the Dept has done well in making sure the public’s concerns are acknowledged and taken into account. Comm. Julian also said that he was comfortable with the process. There will always be different perspectives on the best way to spend funds, but that the Commission and Dept will always be guided by what’s best for the youth.
Comm. Jackson-Drake invited the community to be partners with the Dept in this budget process to advocate for adequate support of services. She also thanked the Dept. staff who worked so hard to prepare the budget.
6. (DISCUSSION) Public Comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission.
Margaret Libby represented Coleman Advocates. She spoke highly of the advocacy and heart of the people in Coleman, and said that she’d take back the Commission’s comments to them.
Comm. Arámburo said that the advocacy of Coleman is important, and that they are listened to. She pointed to the fact that they cites the lack of "Level 14" beds, and as a result there is now more attention being paid to it by the Dept.
7. (DISCUSSION) Announcements, requests for future agenda items. There was none.
8. (ACTION) Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm.
Minutes adopted 3/28/01