To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 




Held at City Hall, Room 416, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place

The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up

1. (ACTION) Roll Call
The meeting was called to order at 6:08 pm by the President. Comms. Hale, Chuck, Dupre, and Aramburo were present at the gavel. Comms. Larson and Jackson-Drake were excused.
2. (ACTION) Review and approval of November 16, 2000 meeting minutes
The minutes were approved as written.
3. (DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s Report:
a. Status report on Juvenile Hall replacement project
Chris Bigalow gave an update on the progress, and showed drawings of the overall physical structure footprint, and elevation renderings of outside/inside spaces. They do need to submit additional documents for Environmental Impact concerns (with the Feds). The Arts Commission is meeting with the artists on the 24th to further discuss the public art projects for this building. There were no undue delays expected. Cooperation between this project and Laguna Honda Hospital is good, as is the relationship with the contiguous neighborhood. There was a short discussion about the physical appearance. (plans/drawings are available for inspection at YGC, with Joanne Chow Winship).
b. FY 2000-2001 Operating Budget Update
Chief Williams said that they were not ready to present this at this time, but at the Feb. meeting there will be a full report.
c. Highlights since last Commission meeting
Chief Williams acknowledged PO Rod Reyes for his commendable work in setting up the domestic violence program for the Dept, and his extended work on the issue throughout the city and state (he helped set up a family violence/domestic violence court in SF). Williams read a commendation letter from Reyes’s supervisor.
There was a short discussion regarding the lack of services for this population, and the need for more training of providers to deal with the problem.
The Chief also introduced two youth from LCR (Andre Penard, John Sweeney) who were recognized by the Writer’s Workshop for their writing, on the occasion of Martin Luther King’s birthday.
d. Trends/Emerging Issues/Upcoming Events
Williams reminded the public about the retirement event for Cheyenne Bell the next Friday.
4. (ACTION) Consideration and possible action on Finance Committee’s recommendation to renew contracts with the California Dept of the Youth Authority, for 1) emergency custody and 2) diagnostic treatment of SF. juvenile wards, not to exceed $10,000 for #1 and $250,000 for #2.
Comm. Chuck moved, seconded by Comm. Dupré, to approve this contract. The Chief explained this was a continuing contractual relationship with Youth Authority, with an expected increase cost due to the increase rates being charged by YA, and the increased need for diagnostic exams for our detainees. Ques: if the total amounts are not used, is there the option of reallocating the remaining funds to other uses? Answer: possibly but probably no funds will remain.
There was no further discussion, no public comment. The question was called and upon vote, passed unanimously, 5-0.
5. (ACTION) Consideration and action on Program Committee’s recommendation to contract with Bayview Hunters Point Foundation, in the amount of $69,000.00 for population management project.
Comm. Arámburo reviewed what was being called for in this action. (see description of the program, in the Program Committee minutes of 1/18/01). She said that this was a good means of testing out ways of getting the population of minority youth out of the hall, and finding alternatives to out of home placements for them. Comm. Dupré moved, seconded by Comm. Chuck, to approve this contract. There was no public comment. The question was called, and upon vote, passed unanimously, 4-0-1, with Comm. Hale abstaining, due to conflict of interest.
6. (ACTION) (ACTION) Consideration and possible action on Program Committee’s recommendation to accept and expend supplemental grant funds of $483,752.00, from the Board of Corrections’ Repeat Offender Prevention Program (ROPP) .
Comm. Arámburo reported back what was discussed in the Program Committee (see minutes of 1/18/01 meeting), and moved to approve this item. Seconded by Comm. Dupré. There was no public comment. The question was called, and upon vote, passed unanimously, 5-0.          
7. (ACTION) Consideration and possible action on submittal of Juvenile Probation Department’s Capital Improvement Budget for 2001-2.
Comm. Chuck reported what was discussed in the Facilities Committee meeting of 1/12/01 (see committee minutes). There were no questions from the Commission. There was no public comment. Upon motion, seconded, the motion to submit the Capital Improvement Budget was approved unanimously, 5-0.
8. (DISCUSSION) Presentation of the proposed FY 2001-2 Children’s Services Plan, by the Dept. of Children, Youth, and their Families.
Deborah Alvarez-Rodriguez, Director of the Dept of Children, Youth and their Families, presented the Plan, which was not a proposal for immediate changes in the program (since they are on a two-year grant cycle). This "plan" is a progress report and update, highlighting what was going on in the planning and evaluations of programs and services. Eg. service populations will now be extended to 23 yrs of age. They are talking cross depts, with program staffs, youth, foundations, in this process. She described the different ways they have been data gathering, emphasizing the central utilization of youth at every step.
She mentioned that they project a budget next year of about $33 million.
Question: what success have they had in dealing with truancy? Answer: they’ve been able to meet with DHS and SFUSD to define what they mean by truant, to compare their data, and to decide how to address the problem.
Comm. Hale mentioned the importance of DOCYF’s benchmark for children having a meaningful relationship with their peers, family and community.
They will have an evaluation report of the programs funded under the Children’s Dept will be available about Jan. 2002.
Public Comment: Joan Pearson of Coleman Advocates, commended one of the Dept’s programs CARC) for what it did for her son. She encouraged the Dept. to put more funds into counselors who could do what they did with her son.
9. (DISCUSSION) Library facilities/programs within the Dept.
Comm. Arámburo reported that they have established a library nook at LCR, in the former Rec. Room. The Chief said they are in communications with the SF Library about hiring a FT librarian to serve the Dept at both locations (the Hall, and LCR).
Comm. Arámburo also mentioned that many youth asked for a music program, which might be conducted in that room.
10. (DISCUSSION) Request by San Francisco Muslim Community Center to take possession of Chapel at YGC.
Chief Williams reported that they were still in communications with the group in regards to this request, and the Mayor’s office has been notified of their interest, to see if there were any legal restrictions to such a transfer of property. He will report back whatever new information is received, as it becomes available.
11. (DISCUSSION) Public Comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission.
There were no public comments.
12. (DISCUSSION) Announcements, requests for future agenda items.
Comm. Julian noted that the Feb. meeting of the Commission will be the last meeting for himself and Comm. Jackson-Drake, whose terms are expiring. Elections for new officers will take place at the Feb. meeting. Comm. Chuck asked who to write the check to for Cheyenne’s function.
Comm. Hale asked if the Commission could revisit the issue of violence in our communities. He noted that there has been a recent rash of violence in the African American communities. Comm. Arámburo said she heard the Mayor is planning a summit on violence, in March. The Chief said that maybe the Commission could have a role to play in whatever follow up the Mayor’s summit might come up with. Comm. Dupré said that summits are fine, but programs like what are supported by the Department’s community programs division, or what Deborah Alvarez-Rodriquez talked about -the comprehensive networks, are what may be key to making change happen. A short discussion ensued. There were no decisions reached, no actions taken.
13. (ACTION) Adjournment
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 pm.

                               Adopted Feb. 15, 2001