To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 




Held at City Hall, Room 416 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place

The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up.

1. (ACTION) Roll Call
The meeting was called to order at 6:03 pm by the President. Comms. Julian, Chuck, Aramburo, Drake, Larson were present at the gavel. Comm. Hale arrived at 6:12pm. Comm. Dupre was excused.
Comm. Julian acknowledged the cooperation of all involved, during the current flux of scheduling Commission meetings. He hopes the time conflict between his Democratic Central Committee meetings and this Commission’s will be cleared up soon, and the Commission can once again establish a set rotation.
Comm. Julian then added an item to the agenda: the Presentation of a Mayoral Proclamation to Sandy Brown-Richardson, on the occasion of her retirement from the Dept. and the City, after 12 years of service. Comm. Julian read the text of the proclamation to the assembled audience, citing this day, July 20, as Sandy Brown-Richardson day in San Francisco. S.B. Richardson thanked the Commission and Deputy Chief Tucker for all the support given her while in the Dept. She commented that the Dept couldn’t have progressed as far as it has without it.
She was deeply moved by this award.
2. (ACTION) Review of June 28, 2000 meeting minutes
Comm. Julian made the following amendments to the minutes. Item #4, he asked that the term sexual predator be replaced with sexual offender. The term "standard program" did not reflect his meaning. What he had said was that it wasn’t clear to him whether the residents were just telling us what they thought we wanted to hear, or really telling us what they felt about the program. The question of whether they would prefer to be in the community or the facility, he meant whether they would prefer to be in that facility for its programs, or programs based in the community.
The last page, stating that the Commission met with Judge McCarthy, in reality the full Commission did not meet, but only a few Commissioners met informally with him.
Comm. Arámburo corrected the comment that a client contacted her about CYA. It should read that she was contacted by a parent of a SF ward about concerns that her son was being sent to the CYA facility at Preston, which has a very negative reputation.
With these amendments, the minutes were adopted.
3. (DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s Report:
a. Introduction of Julie Posadas
Cheyenne Bell introduced Julie as having been a long time advocate for girls, and a current employee of the District Attorney’s office (she is also an attorney). She is being ’loaned’ to this Dept. to coordinate the currently fragmented services being provided to the young women in the Hall. She will be with the Dept. for a year.
There was a short discussion about the needs of girls, and the continuing efforts the Dept. has made to deal with them. Comm. Hale commented that the SF Weekly article, which claims that the Dept is ignoring the problem, is not the first time they have practiced tabloid journalism on issues. He said that they should be more responsible in their reporting, and stick to the facts. He also commented that the Dept. should be more pro active in putting information out to the media and community to keep the record straight.
Comm. Julian welcomed J. Posadas, and reiterated that the Commission was deeply interested in the issues surrounding girls in the system, and know that they have been underserved. He said that the Commission and the Dept is committed to working with those girls.
b. progress report on new facility planning
Tucker reported that rough drafts of the plans are with DPW. A 2-floor plan will probably be chosen. Final decision in Oct. Things are moving along.
Comm. Chuck commented that he was impressed that everyone concerned in this process was taking it in stride, very calmly, in face of the potential upheaval and disruption attendant to construction and demolition, and the temporary move of people and services. He encouraged the Commission to continue supporting the Dept’s work in this regard. Comm. Hale reported an idea he got from a Rec. and Park meeting he attended, where they were dealing with the concept of fundraising via "naming options" [where a donor can have parts of a park named in his/her honor]. He suggested the potential of this strategy for this Dept., eg. someone who’ll support the school program.
c. Highlights since last Commission meeting
Comm. Arámburo asked Asst. Chief Tucker to break out the stat for girls held in juvenile hall into those who are awaiting placement, and those 707s.
Johnnny Miller was asked to report on the AWOL from LCR. Johnny reported that a young man walked away from LCR last Friday and is still at large.
d. Trends/Emerging Issues/Upcoming Events
Comm. Julian brought up the issue of the meeting time conflict he has now with the Democratice Central Committee. Upon polling the other members of the Commission he felt that it would be possible to move the regular Commission monthly meeting from its current 4th Wednesday time slot to the 3rd Thursday of each month. He asked for Commissioners to consider this for a permanent change.
Review of 2000-2001 Budget Events
Assistant Chief Tucker reported that the Bd of Supervisors has approved the City’s budget for 2000-2001 last week. She’s awaiting final notice to proceed with this year’s activities. She asked for a Finance Committee meeting to review the final document.
4. (ACTION) Appointments to committees (Julian)
By consensus, it was decided that Comm. Larson would join the Program Committee, and Com. Hale would sit on the Finance and Facilities Committees.
Comm. Aramburo will chair Program. Comm. Jackson-Drake will chair Finance.
Comm. Arámburo thanked Comm. Hale for doing such a great job in the Program Committee. Comm. Hale said it has been a real enjoyable experience, being inspired by what communities are doing with the young people, and being a part of a team effort with them in the rehab process.
5. (ACTION) Consideration and possible action on recommendation of Program Committee for modification of contract with Calif. Youth Authority for "Young Men as Fathers" program, in the amount of $ 9,294.00
[As the Program Committee was unable to meet on this issue, it was taken up by the Commission as a whole]
Liler B. Jackson, counselor at LCR, reported that the program is sponsored by the CYA (curriculum and funding). Two counselors run the program. All boys attend. There is only 1 current detainee that is a father, and 2 who are expectant fathers.
Comm. Hale moved to approve the modification of the contract. Comm. Chuck 2nd.
There was a short discussion about the future of the program, and if activities are done with the young fathers’ counterparts (the mothers). J. Miller described some of the family oriented activities done in this project. Upon motion and second, the question was called and the motion was passed unanimously, 6-0.
6.          (DISCUSSION) Public Comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission.
7. (DISCUSSION) Announcements, requests for future agenda items.
Comm. Julian reiterated that, barring any further changes, the regular meeting of the Full Commission will now take place on the 3rd Thursdays of each month, in hearing rm. 416.
The Secretary noted that the next full Commission meeting will be up at YGC, in accordance with the Commission’s Rules.
8. (ACTION) Adjournment
Comm. Jackson-Drake moved to adjourn the meeting in the memory of Chief Jesse Williams’ grandmother.
The meeting was so adjourned, at 6:55 pm.

Adopted September 21, 2000