To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999  


held at City Hall rm 400 1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place San Francisco, CA 94102

The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up

1.           (ACTION) Roll Call
The meeting was called to order at 5:50pm. Comms. Hale, Dupre, Ricci, Bonilla were present at the gavel. Comms. Grossman, Chuck were excused. Comm. Richard was enroute. There was a quorum.
2.           (ACTION) Review and approval of July 24, 2002 meeting minutes
The minutes were approved as written.
(public comments) There was none.
3. (DISCUSSION) Chief Probation Officer’s Report: **explanatory document: monthly report for June ’02.
a.          Status report on Juvenile Hall Replacement Project
Joanne Chow Winship reported that the project was continuing, with construction documents being finalized and reviewed. They will go to the Bd of Corrections for review before ads go out requesting bids. The certificates of participation will be issued in 2003, with a construction contract due in Feb. 2003, and start of demolition in March 2003, beginning with hazardous materials abatement. The relocation plan is proceeding, to be done by mid Sept. Dept. 30 will move when demolition starts.
There was a question of the deadline for BOC funds. Winship said that those funds must be spent by a given deadline, and that they anticipate using those funds up first in order to make that deadline, and completing the project with the local funds.
Winship also mentioned that the shared roadway at LCRS would undergo widening, starting in Dec. 2002 and complete by July 2003. There will be a stoplight installed at that entry point, intersection.
b.          Update on FY 02-03 Budget Status
Mark Lui reported on the ’01-’02 budget summary. The Dept ended the year with a small surplus, further funds were identified through Title 4e reimbursements, charging some of their tenants for administrative services, energy savings, and reduction of work ordered amounts to other depts.
In the new (current) fiscal year, there have been cutbacks. Harvey Rose cut 4 positions from the current budget. 3-4 other positions have been put on half time. There were further cutbacks in OT and contractual services from CYA. There are 40 vacancies projected in the Dept, but will be trying to get them filled. There is an anticipated $400K revenue stream for this year, which was put in “reserve” by the Controller. If this doesn’t materialize as expected, it will result in a further deficit in the Dept’s budget. Workers comp. rises with the rise of OT, so the Dept will be paying attention to this.
The budget process for ’03-’04 may be starting a month earlier this year.
Comm. Hale said that while this year’s experience was very difficult, the upcoming might be even more so. He wanted to know how the vacancies would affect the quality of services the Dept can provide?
He said he was confident the Commission’s Finance Committee would be looking closely at this and all issues of the budget.
The Chief announced that Asst. Chief Tucker is still out of town due to her mother’s death, and asked that this meeting be adjourned in her memory.
(public comments) There was none.
4.           Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation
There was none.
5.          (DISCUSSION) Report from Detention Diversion Advocacy Project, and Mission Neighborhood Centers on the progress of their contracted services (as requested by Comm. Bonilla)
There was no rep. from the Detention Diversion Advocacy Project. Liz Jackson-Simpson introduced the staff from the Mission Neighborhood Centers’ Home Detention program. Tracy Brown is the Program Director of the Home Detention Program, contracted for $138K a year. She talked a little about some of the collaborations they have with other service providers, (eg. Yo!SF) where they are able to refer the youth there for employment services. Joanna Hernandez, Monica Trujillo and Camille Dawkins were introduced as project staff.
Comm. Bonilla asked about their ed. Component and employment placement. T. Brown said that primarily they are required to carry out the POs directions regarding the youth’s being in school and other restrictions while awaiting their hearing. They try to get the youth into a school and make sure they stay in, and if there are other conditions, they monitor those. The employment work is basically using MYEEP placements as job experience, or through stipends from the YGC Volunteer Auxiliary, but Yo!SF provides other search options.
Comm. Bonilla explained that he was particularly interested in the educational foundation of the youth, knowing that it is through this that the youth will improve.
Comm. Dupre asked it there were any issues that they wanted make known to the Commission. They replied that one of the most serious problems they see growing, is prostitution, from a very young age.
Comm. Hale asked about education. What is the qualitative evaluation of these youth as to their performance in school. Are they improving? The contractor said they do see a change during the time they are in the program, because they need to in preparation for their hearing.
Ques: is there enough technical assistance given to the contractor, or is funding an issue.
The contractor indicated there is technical assistance.
Comm. Hale asked specifically whether PrIDE has developed enough data on the academic progress of the youth in our programs, individual and as they relate to particular programs.
He also raised the issue of how the Dept could be pro active in responding to rising issues such as prostittution, and somehow working with the CBOs to move on them with resources.
L. Jackson-Simpson said that in as far as the Home Detention program goes, there’s not really not much that can be done by the contractor in the 2 weeks youth are in the program. She acknowledged the active work of the CBOs in different initiatives that do address issues which may not be a part of their contracted services to the Dept.
The Chief commented that the issue of prostitution is something which impacts the population of girls in JH. One of the questions is how residential placements can be created for such girls, in lieu of JH. The Dept is involved in those discussions.
L. Jackson-Simpson said that they should get a list of resources of their contractors that can help provide some support to those facing this problem, and make it available to them.
Comm. Dupre commented that the Dept is serving as an asset to CBOs to address emerging issues, and commended the Dept for being that.
Comm. Hale asked that the Program Comm. look at the progress made by the Dept in girls’ services. He further asked how this Dept can work with other City departments to address such problems as prostitution, since many problems cross the various individual charges of individual departments. Comm. Hale asked that the Dept be more pro active in its collaborative energies to bring the needed attention to different problems, as it appears to have done with girls’ issues.
Comm. Bonilla commented that at a recent Program Comm. mtg, he raised the issue of developing a “blue ribbon” task force to investigate the opportunities of creating a girls’ oriented program for the site.
Comm. Dupre stated that when he first began doing youthwork in SF, most CBOs were left on their own to deal with issues. Now, while it’s still on their shoulders, there are bodies to get the attention of, such as the Commission on the Status of Women.
L. Jackson-Simpson reported that the other agency, Center for Juvenile and Criminal Justice, was not yet present for their report.
Comm. Hale said that if the Dept didn’t have any outstanding issues that it wanted to bring to the Commission’s attention, then he would table any action on this until they reported at the next Commission meeting.
(public comment) there was none.
6.          (DISCUSSION) Review and comments on the Log Cabin Ranch Comprehensive Plan.
The Chief said that this is still a work in progress. What it lays out is the long-range plan for what LCRS will be like, what has already been done and what will be attempt to for this fiscal year. (document available from the Chief’s office). The LCRS Advisory Committee is now operational and the Chief asked that this document be the starting point for that body, in its inspection of the Ranch operations. He introduced Donald Sanders, Director of LCRS. He reviewed how he approached this. He said he listened to everyone tell him what they wanted. He has included everything he has learned from all those he talked to.
He walked through a flowchart that showed what steps are taken to ready the young referral to LCRS. A new process now includes the family of the referral, so they can be involved. All assessments done on the young man will be available to everyone (from all divisions) so they all have the same understanding of the background.
The programming at LCRS takes a youth from morning to 9pm. TV is only allowed 3 hrs/wk. They are allowed to watch football on Monday nights. There are game, family, activities, and poetry nights.
Currently there is no student council due to the small population.
There will be a written aftercare plan, monitored by the PO.
Jim Fithian, Vice Principal of the school program, reported on the progress made in this aspect. He reported some very impressive improvements of students’ performances measured by more than one assessment tool, in both English and mathematical skills.
They have individual tutoring, and they no longer do “pull out” from regular classes. They have removed the punitive nature of the discipline policy.
Comm. Dupre commented that it would be better to hold off on any action on the Plan until they have come up with a Mission Statement.
L. Jackson-Simpson talked about the Youth Development Crime Prevention Grant, which will be used to create a multi disciplinary web of support of the youth coming out of LCRS, initially, then extended to those coming out of Juvenile Hall. This will provide a multitude of services and supports for these youth.
Another positive addition will be a personal portfolio that each youth maintains, which will document all the accomplishments made by that young person while at LCRS, which can be carried by the youth to whatever he goes onto.
Comm. Dupre asked the staff to address the question of the role of LCRS graduates –eg. the one who completed the Job Corps program-- and also something about the spiritual aspect of programs at LCRS.
Comm. Hale cautioned being overly enthusiastic and expectant about the master plan, giving the example with Dr. Huey Newton, that he learned as the “one stop sign” approach, whereby realistic and tangible goals are set one at a time rather than a shotgun approach which tries for several simultaneous actions which may hold untold individual complications.
He emphasized the need to deal with the young people as individuals, so that they are not lost while the systemic issues are being addressed. He wanted the Dept to make sure they continue having hard evidence through testing that reveal the measures of success for each individual.
The Chief said that the Dept will be meeting with local 790 and staff regarding this plan.
Comm. Hale said it was critical to have staff supportive of the work of the Dept. He further stated that in his years on the Commission, he has never seen any progressive, negative retribution by the Dept toward any staff.
(public comments) There was none.
7.          (ACTION) Consideration and possible action on resolution to accept and expend $4,647.00 from the Youth Authority, for continuation of the Young Men as Fathers program at Log Cabin Ranch.
Donald Sanders briefly said that the program is serving all the youth at LCRS, while only about 5 are currently fathers. A group is running this teen fathers program from the Bayview Hunters Point community.
Comm. Ricci commented that the report given by Sanders was very important and useful.
(public comments) There was none
Comm. Dupre moved to approve the resolution, stipulating that at the next Program Comm. there is a breakout of how the funds would be spent. It was seconded, and upon voice vote, passed unanimously, 5-0.
8.           (DISCUSSION) Review of the final Dept. anti-harassment policy/procedures for detained youth.
Dep. City Attorney Rosa Sanchez reported that this was a procedural update. It needs to be acted upon by the Juvenile Justice Commission for its role in the process. There is a meeting with staff scheduled to get their understanding and approval.. The Probation Commission can review this document for a month and possibly act upon it at the next Commission meeting.
Comm. Hale asked if any stated opposition has been heard from anyone. Ans: nothing yet.
R. Sanchez said that possibly that is due to the open process that led to this document, where there was ample opportunity to air any concerns at every step of the way.
(public comments)
9. (DISCUSSION) Committee Chair Reports
·          Program Committee: report on the discussions held in meeting of August 20, 2002.
Comm. Dupre reported briefly on the discussions held (minutes available on the City website). He mentioned a concern by Comm. Bonilla on the rough start of the LCRS Advisory Committee. He suggested the Program Comm. Chair take a tighter rein on the process so the Advisory Committee can proceed. Comm. Richard agreed to do this.
Comm. Hale offered that it would be okay to revisit previous decisions. In light of the presentation of the comprehensive plan on LCRS, and the difficulty of the Advisory Committee’s getting going, whether there is a continued need to utilize the Advisory Committee. Comm. Dupre said that at the Committee meeting there was a lack of clarity of the role of the Advisory Committee. He also repeated that the comprehensive plan would be a good point to start with. He agreed that the need for the committee could be re-thought.
Comm. Richard’s understanding of the Advisory Committee is that they do have a clear understanding of their role and the protocols. He also clarified that they were told to use the comprehensive plan as a guide. He will meet with them again, and get a final decision on whether to move forward on this or not.
D. Sanders said that it appeared that some of the Advisory Committee members were confused or frustrated, and needed some leadership.
There was a short discussion about meetings at LCRS. Not allowed at LCRS.
(public comments) There was none.
10. Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission
L. Jackson-Simpson reported that Andrea Shorter, who was going to report for CJCJ, was unable to stay and apologized for it. She will report at the next Commission meeting.
11.           (DISCUSSION) Announcements, requests for future agenda items.
There was none.
12. (ACTION) Adjournment
Comm. Hale commented that the passing of Ms. Tucker’s mother saddens the Commission and wanted her to know that the Dept and the Commission’s thoughts were with her at this time. The meeting was adjourned in the memory of Asst. CPO Gwen Tucker’s mom, Mrs. Mattierean Branch.