To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 



held at Potrero Hill Neighborhood House   953 De Haro St.  San Francisco, CA 94107

The Minutes of this meeting set forth all actions taken by the Commission on the matters 

                                                          stated, but not necessarily the chronological sequence in which the matters were taken up



(ACTION) Roll call, and welcome by Edward Hatter, Exec Dir of the Potrero Hill Neighborhood Center.  District 10 Supervisor Sophie Maxwell invited to make remarks.

The President called the meeting to order at 5:35pm.  Comm Stiglich, Woodson, Beijen were present at the gavel. Comm Fetico arrived at 5:41pm.  Comms Rojas, Lingad Ricci were excused.

Comm Queen introduced Sharon Johnson, Youth Program Director of Potrero Hill Neighborhood House, who gave a brief introduction to the agency.  Then Supervisor Maxwell gave a warm welcome to the Commission and audience, and thanked the commission and dept for their work and commitment to the at-risk youth of the city.



(ACTION) Review and approval of July 11, 2007 meeting minutes

Upon motion and second, the minutes were approved as written.

(public comments)
There were none.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission



(DISCUSSION) Chief’s report.

The Chief reported that there were 102 in juvenile hall this day, representing their continuing effort to keep only those needing detention in JH. The Dept is bringing on 5 new POs, and they just appointed 4 permanent Supervising POs.

Update on DJJ realignment:

There was nothing new to report as this is tied up with the stalled state budget process.

Update on Controller’s audit of Dept.

A. Magee reported that the Controller’s office has done a ranking of city depts. in order of most need for their auditing services.  The Probation Dept is in the middle, so it doesn’t appear that they will allocate funds/time to do this Dept this year. She said that the year-end review of the Dept’s operations where random sampling of transactions/processes are looked at, has been done and she can give a copy of the results to the Commission if they want.

Update on status of the Dept’s budget (vis-à-vis supplemental requests)

Comm Queen asked what the status of this was, and both A. Magee and the Chief said that since the City’s budget has just been passed, any further considerations for change/additions would require another supplemental request and they weren’t sure how that would be viewed by the City.   Comm Queen wanted this discussion to be continued in the Finance Committee but also said that he’d be thinking further of strategies to get this supplemental request fully funded.

(public comment)

There were none.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Public Comment on all matters pertaining to Closed Session.

 There were none.

Vote on whether to hold Closed Session.  (San Francisco Administrative Code Section 67.10) (ACTION ITEM)

Comm Beijen moved, Comm Stiglich 2nd.  Motion carried 5-0.

Closed Session

Pursuant to Government Code Section 54956.9(a) and San Francisco Administrative Code Section 67.10(d)(1):



Marie Doe v. CCSF, United States District Court No. C-04-4914 MJJ 


Reconvene in Open Session

Vote to elect whether to disclose any or all discussion held in closed session (San Francisco Administrative Code Section 67.12(a))


Comm Beijen moved, Comm Stiglich  2nd, to not disclose any discussion held in closed session.  Motion carried 5-0.

(public comments)
There were none.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Presentation by community representatives on issues of community needs, and community-driven, district based planning strategies, with possible recommendations for future actions.

J. Yanez (IFRSF), encouraged the Commission and Dept to make sure there is community input when it comes to programs and funding.  He also emphasized the continued need for programs and services for immigrant, undocumented, non-English-speaking youth.



(DISCUSSION) Recent developments around the gang injunctions.

Comm. Queen asked for public comments regarding this topic, noting that it is now being widened to other communities.

(public comments)

Roberto Gonzalez of Carecen, commented that there needs to be more community agencies’ input given to the issue of the gang injunction.  He said the injunction will affect more than just those stated neighborhoods in the injunction.  He asked if the Commission could see to it that more communities are given access to those making the decisions on it.

Comm Beijen commented that the Commission doesn’t have any authority over making a gang injunction, and as it affects adults, the Commission is further removed from that concern.

Comm Queen said that while the injunction is for adults it does affect families and children of those impacted.  He wanted this topic to be discussed in the Program Committee to see whether there might be reason for the Commission to take a position on it.



(DISCUSSION) Committee reports, other reports

Comm Woodson noted that the MOCJ group on JDAI will be in recess till end of Sept. The Program Committee will be looking at the semi annual assessments of CBO contracts, and initiating the discussion on the gang initiative at the next meeting.  She pointed out the Beat Within magazine, which we will try to have at commission meetings, and asked people to look it over, noting its value to gaining an understanding of how youth in the system felt.

She reported the Ad Hoc committee met yesterday and made good progress on setting up the criteria and process for doing the performance evaluations for the Chief and Secretary.  The final plan/review will be in place by Jan. 1, 2008.  She said that the community is invited to give input on the criteria, the next meeting being Sept. 25.

Comm Fetico said that the Finance Committee is looking more closely at various processes in the Dept, looking for continued ways to improve the efficiency behind use of financial and dept resources (eg. city cars, cell phones, utilities).  He said he wanted to get the Dept to the point where others will have the confidence that it knows how best to use their funds.

Comm Queen asked the Chief if he had any ideas for how to promote the discussion for more funds. He didn’t.

(public comments)
there were none.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Possible talking points for an agenda with the Police Commission to discuss mutual interests in public safety policies for the City.

Comm Queen said that this has not progressed any further, the Police Commission hasn’t agendized it for themselves, so this will be tabled until further progress is made.

(public comments)

there were none.



Public comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission

Greg Gordon, PO, expressed his concern that 2 Blacks and 1 Latino probation officers scored highest in the recent promotion to Supervising PO, but did not get the appointment.   He felt this was unfair.



(DISCUSSION/ACTION) Requests for future agenda items.  Adjournment

Comm Queen asked the commission to look at a possible date to have the commission’s retreat, on the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept.  This will be worked out.

Comm Beijen asked the Finance Committee to look into what funds and accounts the Commission has. Where did the funds come from. For what purposes. How did YGCIC have authorization to hold these funds. Do the funds earn interest. Does the Controller know about these funds. What protocols are there for disbursing those funds, and should these funds be included in the requested audit.

There being no further business, at 6:35pm

                                           The Chief asked to adjourn the meeting


in honor of his newest grandchild,

                                                   John (Jack) Morrissey Siffermann