Full_Commission2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999
JUVENILE PROBATION COMMISSION MINUTES – April 09, 2008
1. Roll call
President Stiglich called the meeting to order at 5:40 PM. All Commissioners were present at the gravel except Commissioners Ricci & Albright (Commissioner Albright arrived at 6:00 PM).
2. Public Comment.
No public present.
3. Review and Approval of Minutes from March 12, 2008 Meeting
Change on reporting of prior meetings/minutes approved by all.
4. Review and possible approval of selection criteria and procedures for hiring the Juvenile Probation Commission Secretary
Secretary: PT but concern on quality of resume.
Salary: cut in half
Posting SFgov website
City has contracts with recruitment companies. Ms. Magee will provide list
Ad hoc will review resumes and work with Ms. Magee and "bring" candidates to Commission.
Recommendation to bring top three to full Commission. Then vote as full Commission, This is done in closed session. Target good population that will stick around for a while.
Changes to job description:
- Not to target a development person but to add language to assist with grant writing
- Computer and web proficient will add phrase
Rojas: flex time
Motion to go forward with:
- PT flex based on hourly salary for classification
- Posted on SFgov website and other avenues used
- Ad hoc will review resume and will bring to Commission top three
- Telecommuting OK in certain occasions and computer savvy
- Motion carries with no opposing votes
- Who is going to determine hourly rate?
5. Updated report regarding fiscal issues involving Juvenile Probation Commission bank accounts/funds.
Ms. Magee: Still finding out
Controllers office investigating
We do not know who is responsible for funds
Commissioner Beijen would like to continue investigation
Grant was not authorized by commission or department
YGCIC does not know anything about funds
Commissioner Beijen good to know that controllers office is on it.
6. Reports to the Commission
a. Chief's report
(i) LCR clean-up
DPW - Director
Head of new greening operation
LCR - added to regular clean up schedule
meeting scheduled for next week
Rec & Park
Translate to develop into program that teaches skills
Appearing in front of Supervisors to present vision and asking for capital improvements
1 maintenance guy
1 water treatment guy
See documents from CPO (1st day)
- Community service: police recruit class
- Joanne, coordinator – great job
- Interaction by counselors: 19 front and center, 1 reluctant youth. (talked to former director) – changed his mind
- DPW there
- Everyone had a great story to tell at the end
- Saturday – police recruits stay behind then play basket ball with kids
- Kids were doubtful at first
- Life changing moment
- Keep story and more chapters added
(ii) Population breakdown
(iii) Incident last night staff attacked by youth with a shank
- Staff member OK only cut on neck
(iv) Summer safe plan
identify high-risk youth
probation officers to meet
Patton: What do you need us to support?
- Representation from commission
- ICR development
- State bonding? great assistance
- Summer safe plan (Lonnie Holmes)
b. Committee Reports
Ad hoc: Discussed before, nothing else to report.
Will try to get goals finished
No meeting held.
No meeting held.
7. Scheduling of items identified for consideration at future Commission meetings:
Joint meeting with other departments that share our work.
Initiatives that need support
John Torres invited to present on CRN
8. Adjournment at 6:35 PM