To view graphic version of this page, refresh this page (F5)

Skip to page body

Meeting Information


2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000  MINUTES OF OCTOBER 3, 2001 FACILITIES COMMITTEE MEETING
held at Youth Guidance Center Conference Rm 375 Woodside Ave San Francisco, Ca 94127

1. (ACTION) Roll Call
The meeting was called to order by Comm. Chuck, at 8:40am Comm. Ricci was present at the gavel. Comm. Hale arrived at 8:55am. Ed Lopatin, Norm Cole were present for the Dept. Chris Bigelow and Joanne Winship were present for the JH project team. Kathleen Kelly (Volunteer Auxiliary), Millie Mayfield (SF Independent newspaper) were present.
2. (ACTION) Review of Facilities Committee meeting minutes of Jan. 12, 2000.
Action on the minutes was tabled due to a lack of a quorum of members who were present at the meeting of the 12th.
(public comments) None
3. (DISCUSSION) Status of the Juvenile Hall Replacement and Relocation project.
[Chris Bigelow spoke about the changes to the original facility brough on because design estimates are coming in higher than budgeted and the project has still to secure $14 million. If no further funds are secured, then the combined Juvenile Hall and main administration lobby will not be included, as well as the training room. There are additional costs associated with the project not budgeted for in the original grant and plans, such as relocation costs during construction of JH staff, some services, and the coursts, and increaased project management and hazardous materials abatement costs due to the phasing of the project. The revised base bid design will not contain a combined main entrance for the Administration building and Juvenile Hall.
Most of the regulatory agencies will have to review the revisions. Start date of construction work is now scheduled for July 2002, with completion targeted for Sept. 2004.
Question: will the courts help in the relocation costs? Answer: No. The City is checking to see whether other departments associated with the project may have available funds for their aspect of the project.
The project will go out to bid in Feb. of next year. Question: what’s the flexibility in the design if bids come in too high. Can/will they redesign again? Answer: The City can reject all offers bid out again, or find all funds necessary to get the facility built as planned.
It is usually cost effective to have one general contractor perform one portion of the plan first, and come back to do the next portion, than to have separate general contractors.] **portion within [ ] contained amended language.
Comm. Ricci asked what the projected costs for the warehouse/food service building were. Answer: $1.1 million.
Question: could the front portion of the plan be added on later. No. it is not designed for this.
At this point, the Chair asked Norm Cole to go over the list of projects that are in progress now, and those not funded. Cole passed out a paper, which listed all the projects. Some highlights:
The fire alarm system in YGC is down due to a bad circuit board, which they have ordered. He is talking to Chris and Joanne about connecting this to the new facility.
Two restrooms in YGC are still not in usage. They are locating funds to make them ADA compliant.
Painting is still needed in portions of YGC. Signage is still on hold.
They are doing a property survey at LCR. They are going to put in a gate to LCR’s entrance. They have not found a contractor to do the work on the emergency fire pump station.
The Dept recently contracted with some "horsepeople" to put horses at the ranch. They’re being kept in an old shed. Utility lines (electricity and water) have to be run to the shed. Work to relocate two water pump houses is on hold.
Comm. Ricci asked about the costs of housing horses at the ranch. Cole didn’t have any information about that. Comm. Hale says he understands that all the costs are being covered by the group that is providing the service. To the extent that the Dept is able to absorb some of the costs, that would be done, eg. electricity. Maintenance, upkeep of the horses (eg. hay, equipment) all of that is being funded by alternate sources -not the Dept.
Comm. Hale asked what the timeline is for the fire alarm system? Cole said that once the company informs him that the circuit board cannot be repaired, then Cole will have to declare an emergency safety condition and get action accordingly.
In the meantime, until the system is fixed, the Dept would have to do an hourly fire inspection (probably by counselors in the hall) of the entire facility, on a 24 hr basis.
(public comments)
Kathleen Kelly of the Volunteer Auxiliary: She spoke about the involvement of the Auxiliary in the library project. She asked what would be happening to the youth (in the hall) during the construction period (upwards of 2 yrs). She heard that youth would be simply kept in their rooms during this time. She said that there really needs to be space where those youth can be taken to, away from their units. She said the library plays a very important role in this, being a place where youth can relax, get books, continue exercising their minds. While she emphasized this one aspect of programming, she also acknowledged the importance of other programs and activities during the time of construction, and space to accommodate them. This is critical for better mental health while the new facility is being prepared.
Comm. Ricci agreed with K. Kelly. She said that all of the items she mentioned had been brought to the attention of the replacement team at a prior Commission meeting and thanked her for bringing it up again.
Comm. Hale said that the Committee was restricted from commenting on K. Kelly’s comments because they were not an agenda item. He suggested to the Chair that at the next Facility Committee meeting, an item on programming during the construction, be placed on the agenda for discussion. K. Kelly responded that Comm. Hale continually tells her that she is not on the agenda; at a prior Commission meeting, he cut her off as she spoke about an item on the agenda. She said that what she brought up at this meeting was germane to the agenda item being discussed. She took offense at being cut short. Comm. Hale said it was his intention to have all the issues raised by the public discussed. He said that at a former meeting they were informed that if an item was not agendized, the Commission cannot respond in any involved conversation, other than to ask for clarification from the public about their public comment. That is the City’s ordinance, the Commission is bound to follow. He said that the youth in the hall were not being kept in their rooms, that they had various spaces available for different activities. He felt there was no urgency to discuss this at this meeting, and felt that it could be adequately addressed at their next meeting.
Comm. Chuck said he appreciated K. Kelly’s concerns. He asked about the Merit space that was not in use now. She said that it was an example of space to be lost during the construction. She acknowledged the lack of funds (and space) to provide dedicated space for specific activities, so they’ll need to look at multi use space. Comm. Chuck said that the Committee will probably have to put their heads together with the Program Committee, and the consultants, to explore the best possibilities.
Chris Bigelow said that the full time of construction would not take the full 2 yrs., but closer to 17-18 months.
A reporter from the SF Independent said that she assumes the Dept already has a plan for where to put the youth during the project work? Answer: Yes.
4. (DISCUSSION) Public Comment on any matter within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Juvenile Probation Commission.
5. (ACTION) Adjournment
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:50 am.

                                         Minutes approved November 7, 2001