Citywide Project Labor Agreement
On February 18, 2019 the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed the Citywide Project Labor Agreement Ordinance (Section 6.27 of the SF Administrative Code). This Ordinance directed the City to negotiate a Project Labor Agreement (PLA) with the San Francisco Building Construction Trades Council.
On July 14, 2020 the Citywide Project Labor Agreement became effective. Contractors performing trade work on COVERED PROJECTS are required to:
- Utilize trade appropriate union hiring halls to hire workers and apprentices
- Pay fringe benefit contributions on behalf of workers directly to appropriate Union Trust Fund programs
COVERED PROJECTS are those advertised by the San Francisco Department of Public Works and/or the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department which meet the following criteria:
- Funded by the General Fund with an estimated value of more than $10 million, or
- Funded by a general obligation bond or a revenue bond exceeding the following threshold amounts:
- $5 Million from 7/14/2020 – 7/13/2021
- $3 Million from 7/14/2021 – 7/13/2022
- $1 Million from 7/14/2022 – 7/13/2040
Cerfified Local Business Enterprises (LBEs) are exempt until payments of $5 million are issued on covered projects.
- Citywide Project Labor Agreement Ordinance
- Frequently Asked Questions Coming Soon!
If you have questions or comments about the PLA, please contact the Office of Labor Standards Enforcement at (415) 554-6573 or email@example.com.