Citywide Project Labor Agreement
On February 18, 2019 the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed the Citywide Project Labor Agreement Ordinance (Section 6.27 of the SF Administrative Code). This Ordinance directed the City to negotiate a Project Labor Agreement (PLA) with the San Francisco Building Construction Trades Council.
On July 14, 2020 the Citywide Project Labor Agreement became effective. Contractors performing trade work on COVERED PROJECTS are required to:
- Utilize trade appropriate union hiring halls to hire workers and apprentices
- Pay fringe benefit contributions on behalf of workers directly to appropriate Union Trust Fund programs
COVERED PROJECTS are those advertised by the San Francisco Department of Public Works and/or the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department which meet the following criteria:
- Funded wholly or in part by a general obligation bond or a revenue bond with an estimated project value which exceeds the following threshold amounts:
- $5 Million from 7/14/2020 – 7/13/2021
- $3 Million from 7/14/2021 – 7/13/2022
- $1 Million from 7/14/2022 – 7/13/2040, or
- Funded by a source other than a general obligation bond or a revenue bond with an estimated project value which exceeds $10 million.
Cerfified Local Business Enterprises (LBEs) are exempt until payments of $5 million are issued on covered projects.
- Citywide Project Labor Agreement Ordinance
- Project Labor Agreement
- Frequently Asked Questions - updated 9/14/20
- Fact Sheet
If you have questions or comments about the PLA, please contact the Office of Labor Standards Enforcement at (415) 554-6573 or firstname.lastname@example.org.