If You Work for a Business With a Contract or Lease with the City of San Francisco
If you work on a City-funded construction project, you must be paid the prevailing wage rate for the type of work performed.
In addition, for non-construction work, you must be paid the prevailing wage rate if you work on any of the following City contracts:
- Window Cleaners
- Garage and Parking Lot Attendants
- Exhibit, Display, and Trade Show
- Loading, Unloading, and Driving Commercial Vehicles
- Moving Services
- Motorbus Services
- Broadcast Services
- Secrurity Guard Services
- Sanitary Truck Drivers & Helpers
- Theatrical Workers
If you have questions about Prevailing Wage or wish to report a violation of the law, call 415-554-6235.
Most City service contractors and tenants (including at San Francisco International Airport) are covered by Minimum Compensation. Your employer must provide you with:
- No less than the Minimum Compensation wage rate, currently $18.55 per hour at for-profit employers, $17.34 per hour at non-profit employers, and $18.00 per hour at public employers;
- 12 paid days off per year (or cash equivalent); and,
- 10 days off without pay per year
If you are a part-time worker, you earn prorated paid and unpaid days off based on your hours worked.
If you have questions about Minimum Compensation or wish to report a violation of the law, call 415-554-7903.
Health Care Accountability Ordinance
Most City service contractors and tenants (including at San Francisco International Airport and the Port of San Francisco) are covered by the Health Care Accountability Ordinance. If you work at least 20 hours per week, your employer must either:
- Provide you with a health plan with no premiums that meets the City’s minimum standards;
- Pay $5.85 per hour worked to the San Francisco Department of Public Health; OR,
- Under limited circumstances, make payments directly to you.
If you work at the San Francisco International Airport, and you are covered by the Quality Standards Program, then your employer must either:
- Provide you with a family health plan with no premiums that meets the City’s minimum standards; OR
- Pay $9.50 per hour to the City Option Program
If you have questions about the Health Care Accountability Ordinance or wish to report a violation of the law, call 415-554-7903.
If you apply for a job with a San Francisco contractor or tenant, the employer must follow strict rules regarding your arrest and conviction record and related information.
Employers may not:
- Ask about arrest or conviction records on the job application;
- Ask about certain arrest and conviction information in the interview process, including arrests that did not lead to a conviction (except for unresolved arrests), convictions in the juvenile justice system, or convictions that are more than 7 years old (unless the position being considered supervises minors or dependent adults);
- Ask about other arrest or conviction information until after it makes a conditional offer.
If you have questions about Fair Chance or wish to report a violation of the law, call 415-554-5192.
If you apply for a job with a San Francisco contractor or tenant, the employer cannot ask you about your current or past salary. San Francisco employers are also prohibited from sharing your salary history with other employers unless you authorize it.
If you have questions about San Francisco Salary History or wish to report a violation of the law, call 415-554-6469.