Worker Protections Ordinance
San Francisco Grocery Store, Drug Store, Restaurant, and On-Demand Delivery Service Worker Protections Ordinance
Effective April 26, 2021
To slow the spread of COVID-19, grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, and on-demand delivery services must:
- provide their workers with items such as face coverings, gloves, hand sanitizer and disinfectant;
- provide their workers with a social distancing policy, and instruct workers and customers on this policy;
- provide for contactless payment systems or sanitize payment systems after each use;
- provide for contactless delivery or pick up, if feasible;
- pay workers for time spent disinfecting high-touch surfaces.
On-demand delivery services include online or mobile apps that arrange for the purchase and delivery of food, medications, or other goods to consumers from no fewer than 20 businesses that are grocery stores, drug stores, or restaurants. For on-demand delivery services, workers are covered whether the on-demand delivery service labels the worker as an employee or an independent contractor, and includes shoppers and drivers.
This ordinance is in effect for two years or until the City declares an end to the local health emergency.
Worker Protections Ordinance Poster - must be displayed at each workplace or jobsite
Filing a Complaint / Questions
To file a complaint under the Worker Protections Ordinance, call 311 or (415) 701-2311.
For general questions, contact OLSE at (415) 554-7890 or WorkerProtections@sfgov.org.