CleanPowerSF

Detail Environment Icon

Public Utilities Commission

FY2018-19
Target: 95% CleanPowerSF Retention Rate
Status:
ON TRACK TO MEET TARGET

CleanPowerSF is San Francisco’s Community Choice Aggregation program administered by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC). CleanPowerSF was created pursuant to state legislation that authorizes local governments to partner with their investor-owned utility (PG&E in San Francisco) to deliver cleaner energy to residents and businesses.

CleanPowerSF began serving customers in May 2016, giving residential and commercial electricity consumers in San Francisco the option to have more of their electricity supplied from clean, renewable sources—such as solar and wind—at competitive rates. When customers join CleanPowerSF’s service, they reduce the carbon footprint associated with their electricity service, support the growth of local renewable energy projects, and combat global climate change.

CleanPowerSF supplies a cleaner electricity supply to customers, while PG&E continues to deliver that energy using its existing infrastructure. Currently, about 39% of the electricity delivered by PG&E is Renewable; the other 61% is from nuclear, natural gas, large hydroelectric, and other non-Renewable sources. CleanPowerSF offers two services with a higher percentage of the energy from cleaner sources, such as solar and wind: Green, which contains 48% Renewable energy, and SuperGreen, which contains 100% Renewable energy.

Customers are automatically enrolled in the Green service, and may elect to opt up to receive the SuperGreen service at any time after enrollment. By law, CleanPowerSF is an opt-out program, meaning eligible customers are automatically enrolled in the program.

The chart below shows the total number of active Green and SuperGreen services per quarter. CleanPowerSF aims to retain 95% of all eligible customers enrolled in the program. Among active customers, CleanPowerSF is also targeting a 5% adoption rate for its SuperGreen product.

ACTIVE ENROLLMENT IN CLEANPOWERSF

CLEANPOWERSF MAP: PERCENT ACTIVE OUT OF TOTAL ELIGIBLE BY ZIP CODE

HOW THE DEPARTMENT IS PERFORMING 

CleanPowerSF began delivering cleaner energy to San Francisco neighborhoods in May 2016. CleanPowerSF enrolled San Francisco customers in phases, with a target of enrolling 100% of eligible accounts by July 2019. CleanPowerSF has surpassed their Phase 1 plan to enroll 75,000 customers by 2018: at the end of FY2016-17, 76,055 (20% of all eligible) customers were enrolled in CleanPowerSF. CleanPowerSF also surpassed its phase 2 target of 106,280 active services by July 2018 with 107,805 total active services at the end of FY2017-18. CleanPowerSF has a target of retaining 95% of its active services and have five percent of eligible accounts enrolled in SuperGreen.

CleanPowerSF has set a target for the default Green service to achieve the California Energy Commission’s requirement that all electricity retailers provide 33% of power from eligible renewable resources by 2020. CleanPowerSF is above that target, as the Green service is currently 48% renewable energy. Additionally, the City of San Francisco has a target of a 50% renewable electricity supply by the end of 2020.

HOW PERFORMANCE IS MEASURED

The number of eligible and participating service is derived from regular reports provided by PG&E and verified by SFPUC staff. 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

  • Please read more about CleanPowerSF here.
  • Interested in upgrading to SuperGreen? Learn how to sign up here.