Complaints Resources

Any complaints not directly related to Planning Code can be reported to other city agencies with services and programs to maintain the quality of living, working, and operating businesses in San Francisco.

If you are unsure of where to begin, a lot of complaints can be handled by
311's Online Complaint Resource

To Report Agency Contact
Call 311 the primary point of contact for city services San Francisco 311 Customer Service Center 311 or (415) 701-2311 or
Construction without permit Department of Building Inspection (415)-558-6570
Construction beyond the scope of permit Department of Building Inspection (415)-558-6570
Noise from construction or issues with construction hours Department of Building Inspection (415)-558-6570
Abandoned properties Department of Building Inspection (415)-558-6454
Plumbing hazards Department of Building Inspection (415)-558-6570
Electrical hazards Department of Building Inspection (415)-558-6570
Disabled access issues Department of Building Inspection – Disabled Access Section (415) 558-6014
Illegal dwelling units Department of Building Inspection (415)-558-6570
Residential maintenance Department of Building Inspection – Housing Inspection Services (415)-558-6220
Issues related to the San Francisco Rent Ordinance (i.e. Rent Control) Rent Board (415) 252-4602
Noise from nightclubs and entertainment Entertainment Commission (415) 554-6678
Noise from music, radio, television, parties, people, animals Police Department (415) 553-0123 or 553-1012
Illegal parking – double parking Police Department (415) 553-0123 or 553-1245
Illegal parking - blocked driveways & streets Municipal Transportation Agency (MTA) – Department of Parking & Traffic (DPT) (415) 553-1631 - Main line
(415) 553-1200 – Dispatch (blocked driveways, sidewalks, etc.)
(415) 865-8200 – For return of towed vehicles
Abandoned Vehicles Self-Service Portal - Abandoned automobiles (parked longer than 72 hours)
Odor, dust, or chemical air pollutants Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) 1-800-334-ODOR(6367)
Noise from fixed mechanical sources, sewage leaks, food safety issues Department of Public Health (415) 252-3800 or Complaint Information
Unsanitary living conditions, pests and vector control, too many pets, neglected and overgrown vegetation, inoperative vehicles on private property, garbage issues, mold/mildew indoors Department of Public Health (415) 252-3805 or DPH Complaint Information
Permits for encroachments into public right-of-way Department of Public Works (415) 554-5810
Litter, blight, graffiti, street signage, street trees, potholes, street/sidewalk maintenance, street construction and excavation noise. Department of Public Works 311 or (415) 701-2311 or DPW Online Service Request  
Animal Abuse Animal Care and Control (415) 554-6364 or