Housing, Environment, and City Services Committee - June 23, 2016 - Minutes
June 23, 2016 (All day)
San Francisco Youth Commission
Housing, Environment and City Services
Thursday, June 23, 2016
City Hall, Room 345
1. Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Pl.
San Francisco, CA 94102
There will be public comment on each item.
Members: Giovanna Soto, Erica Kong, Lily Marshall-Fricker, Jarrett Mao
and Cris Plunkett
1. Call to Order and Roll Call
Vice Chair Kong called the meeting to order at 5:23pm. Commissioners present: Lily Marshall-Fricker, Erika Kong, and Cris Plunkett. Commissioners absent: Giovanna Soto, Jarrett Mao. Staff present: Leah LaCroix, Kiely Hosmon. There was quorum.
There was no public comment.
2. Approval of Agenda (Action Item)
Commissioner Marshall-Fricker, seconded by Commissioner Plunkett, moved to approve the agenda. There was no public comment. The motion was approved by acclamation.
3. Approval of Minutes (Action Item)
A. June 9, 2016
Commissioner Plunkett, seconded by Commissioner Marshall-Fricker, moved to approve the minutes. There was no public comment. The motion was approved by acclamation.
4. Public Comment on Items not on Agenda (Discussion Only)There was none.
5. Business (All Items to Follow Discussion and Possible Action)A. Update on committee policy priorities follow-up • This committee now has the contact information for the new Director of Homeless-ness and staff will coordinate a presentation to the full YC as well as a possible meeting with HECS Committee.
• Free Muni for Youth has been included in the budget for this year.
• Commissioners Kong and Mao are working on a resolution regarding 12N priority. Commissioner Kong will follow up with Mao on the status of this resolution writing.
• Staff will reach out to Supervisors regarding Year of Homeless Youth Resolution
B. Update on the Housing, Environment, and City Services committee annual report
Need one page on what this committee has done for the last year. Commissioner Mao has started the initial first draft and Commissioner Kong will finalize it and turn it in by June 29th. The 12N resolution needs to be done by this upcoming Wednesday in order to get on the agenda for the full YC meeting on July 5th.
Commissioner Soto arrived at 5:30pm.
C. Review and update on recently introduced Board Legislation
Staff reviewed upcoming legislation to be mindful of: mission fires, sugary beverage tax, safe sidewalks, and affordable housing. By the next HECS meeting there should be some hearing dates on these issues.
6. Executive Committee Report
Commissioner Plunkett shared that EC members are reaching out to all Commissioners for 1-on-1s regarding their roles and experience this term. Focus is on annual report duties.
7. Staff Report
• CHALK focus group in City Hall, need commissioners to help voice their opinions on youth issues. Tuesdays or Thursdays would well for members in this committee to participate.
• Fun day and treasure hunt at John McLaren Park on Saturday, July 23rd.
• CA Lawyers of the Arts is requesting an overview and presentation of the YC and the role of youth in making change on June 24th at 2:30. Commissioners Avalos-Nunez and Commissioner Plunkett will arrive Friday at 1:30pm to prep for this.
• Staff went to a Vision Zero event. Would be great to get youth involved in this initiative and staff has invited Vision Zero to full YC and/or a sit down with HECS committee.