Meetings - June 18, 2020 - Agenda
San Francisco Commission of
Animal Control & Welfare
NOTICE OF MEETING AND AGENDA
Thursday, June 18, 2020
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health emergency and to protect Commission members and members of the public, the Commission’s meeting room at City Hall (room 408) is still closed. This meeting is being held by videoconference pursuant to the Governor’s Executive Order N-29-20 and the Eighth Supplement to the Mayoral Proclamation Declaring the Existence of a Local Emergency.
Members of the public are encouraged to participate remotely by calling in to provide comment or by emailing the Commission. To ensure your comment on any agenda item is received by the Commission in advance of the meeting, please send an email to SFanimalcommission@gmail.com by 5:00pm on Wednesday, June 17.
Members of the public requesting reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to observe the meeting or offer public comment are asked to please email requests to SFanimalcommission@gmail.com by 5:00pm on Wednesday, June 17.
WATCH (via WebEx) - https://bit.ly/2zpZVBo
LISTEN / PUBLIC COMMENT CALL-IN: (415) 655-0003 / Access Code: 133 379 0474
Providing Public Comment
1. When the Commission is taking public comment regarding an agenda item, dial * 3 to be added to the speaker line.
2. The automated prompt will state “you have raised your hand to ask a question, please wait to speak until the host calls on you.”
3. Please wait for your turn to speak.
4. When you hear “your line has been unmuted,” you will have the standard two minutes to provide comment.
Nina Irani; Russell Tenofsky; Michael Angelo Torres; Annemarie Fortier; Jane Tobin; Bunny Rosenberg; Brian Van Horn, DVM; Lisa Wayne, RPD; John Skeel, ACC; Officer Joe Majeski, SFPD
Mailing Address: City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Commission Chairperson: Nina Irani
(Note: Public comment will be taken on each item after it is introduced to the Commission. Following public comment, the Commission may further discuss and vote on the item if it is an action item.)
1. Call to Order and Roll Call [Action Item]
2. General Public Comment [Discussion Item]
Members of the public may address the Commission with comments on items within the Commission’s jurisdiction other than items on the agenda at the beginning or end of the meeting, but not both.
3. Approval of Draft Minutes from the May 2020 Meeting [Discussion/Action Item]
4. Chairperson’s and Commissioners’ Reports [Discussion Item]
Commissioners’ reports regarding recent activities in the community involving animal issues that have been discussed by the Commission in the past.
5. New Business
A. Homeless Youth and Companion Animals [Discussion/Action Item] [Commissioners Tobin and Van Horn] The Commission will learn how to support the animals living with their guardians at the Stanyan Street safe sleeping site in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood.
6. Old Business
A. Euthanasia Protocol at SF Animal Care and Control [Discussion/Action Item] [Commissioner Tenofsky] The Commission will discuss ACC protocols for when euthanasia is advised and an ordinance codifying the protocols.
B. San Francisco Live Animal Markets [Discussion Item] [Commissioner Van Horn] In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and proposed state legislation regarding live animal markets, the Commission will discuss the state of local markets, including their regulation.
7. General Public Comment [Discussion Item]
Members of the public may address the Commission with comments on items within the Commission’s jurisdiction other than the items on the agenda at the beginning or end of the meeting, but not both.
8. Items to be put on the Calendar for Future Commission Meetings [Discussion Item]
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Providing Public Comment - Instructions
1) DIAL the Toll-Free Number listed for the meeting (front page of Agenda).
2) Enter the Access Code (front page of Agenda) then press #.
3) Press # again to join the meeting as a participant. You will hear a beep when you have entered the meeting.
4) When you hear the beep, stop and WAIT for Public Comment to be announced
5) When Public Comment is announced, dial * 3 to be added to the speaker line.
6) When you dial * 3, you will hear ‘You have raised your hand to ask a question. Please wait to speak until the host calls on you.’ - WAIT for your turn to speak.
7) When you hear ‘Your line has been unmuted.’ - THIS IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO PROVIDE YOUR PUBLIC COMMENT
8) You will have the standard 2 minutes to provide your comments.
9) Once your 2 minutes have ended, you will be moved out of the speaker line and back to listening as a participant in the meeting (unless you disconnect).
10) Participants who wish to speak on other agenda items or for other comment periods may stay on the line and listen for the next public comment prompt.
▪ Call from a Quiet location
▪ Speak slowly and clearly
▪ Turn down any televisions or radios around you
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Disability Access: Room 408 is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART Station is Civic Center, three blocks from City Hall. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #42 Downtown Loop, the #71 Haight/Noriega, the F Line to Market and Van Ness, and the Metro stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For more information about MUNI accessible services, call 923-6142.
There is accessible parking at the following locations: two (2) designated blue curb spaces on the southwest corner of McAllister Street at Van Ness Avenue; the Performing Arts Garage (entrance on Grove Street between Franklin and Gough Streets), and at Civic Center Plaza Garage.
To obtain a disability-related modification or accommodation to participate in the meeting, please contact Arianna Flores at 252-2500 (voice) or 252-2550 (TDD) at least 48 hours prior to the meeting.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals.
Policy on Cell Phones, Pagers, and Electronic Devices: The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers, and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
Know Your Rights Under the Sunshine Ordinance: Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE OR TO REPORT A VIOLATION OF THE ORDINANCE, CONTACT THE SUNSHINE ORDINANCE TASK FORCE: Administrator Sunshine Ordinance Task Force City Hall, Room 244, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4689 Phone: (415) 554-7724, Fax: (415) 554-5784 E-mail: email@example.com. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, at the San Francisco Public Library, and on the City’s website at http://www.sfgov.org.
Attention: Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance (SF Administrative Code 16.520 - 16.534) to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 220, San Francisco, CA 94102, telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112, and website: http://www.sfgov.org/ethics.
Documents for Public Inspection: Any documents related to an item on this agenda that are distributed to the Commission will be available for public inspection at the Commission website within 72 hours of the meeting.