Lifelines are the systems and facilities that provide services vital to the function of an industrialized society and important to the emergency response and recovery after a natural disaster. These systems and facilities include communication, electric power, liquid fuel, natural gas, transportation (airports, highways, ports, rail and transit), water, and wastewater.
- American Society of Civil Engineering Technical Council on Lifeline Earthquake Engineering (TCLEE), 2009
Scope and Purpose
The San Francisco Lifelines Council seeks to accomplish the following objectives:
• Develop and improve collaboration in the City and across the region.
• Understand inter-system dependencies to enhance planning, restoration and reconstruction.
• Share information about recovery plans, projects and priorities.
• Establish coordination processes for lifeline restoration and recovery following a major disaster event.