Veterans' Affairs Commission - August 8, 2017 - Minutes
August 8, 2017 - 6:00pm
Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance
- Meeting was called to order by President Maffei at 6:01 p.m. followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Present: Barnickel, Joiner, Kennedy, Wong, Oliviery, Maffei, Wyatt, Campbell, Marshall, Chasteen, Noetzel.
- Excused-Not Present: Miller, Flaherty, Dacumos, Weeby
Review of Meeting Agenda
- The meeting agenda was reviewed and a motion to adopt was made by Kennedy, Joiner, 2nd. The motion was approved unanimously.
Review of Draft Minutes of SFVAC meeting of June 13, 2017
- This item was tabled until the September 12, 2017 meeting. President Maffei asked
Call for Public Comment
- Several San Francisco Military Veterans spoke regarding their impending eviction caused by their landlord’s failure to provide legal dwelling units that comply with municipal building, fire, and planning codes.
- Speakers presented information on housing issues and “pilot pop-up housing.”
- Leaders of JROTC and AUSA were introduced by Gil Sandborn.
- President's Report
- President reported that Secretary Dottie Guy has resigned and the VAC will seek to backfill the vacated BOS seat. Tristan Wyatt was introduced as the new Mayoral Appointee. Commissioner Wyatt shared his background and interest in the VAC. President Maffei informed the Commission that an advice letter was written to the Mayor and BOS denouncing President Trump’s proposed ban of transgender service members.
- Vice President’s Report
- VP Kennedy reported that meeting agendas were publicly noticed in compliance with the Brown Act. He stated that he would assume the duties of Vice President and Secretary until a new Secretary was installed.
- Commissioner Barnickel reported on Veterans Jobs Fairs
- VAC Advice to City Administration re: Veterans Homelessness. Item was discussed and a motion was made by Commissioner Noetzel. There was no second to the motion and the motion failed.
- Discussion of San Francisco Veterans Study. Commissioners discussed the Veterans Study and possible uses. No action was taken on this item.
- Final Discussion of VAC By-Laws Revision. Commissioner Noetzel updated the VAC on the by-law changes including the new ethics training. A motion to adopt the new by-law changes requiring Commissioners to complete ethics training within one year was made by Commissioner Noetzel, President Maffei,2nd and the motion was approved unanimously.
Veterans Related Legislation:
- Commissioners Wong and Campbell discussed new legislation affecting the Veterans.
Honors Report and Moment of Silence:
- President Maffei read the honors report and asked for a moment of silence.
Adjournment: Meeting was adjourned at 7:26