Veterans' Affairs Commission - May 9, 2017 - Minutes
VETERANS AFFAIRS COMMISSION
City and County of San Francisco
Mailing Address: S.F. Veterans Affairs Commission
City Hall, 1 Goodlett Place, Room 051
San Francisco, CA 94102
May 9, 2017 SFVAC Meeting Minutes
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm
Roll Call: Present: Commissioners Noetzel, Marshall, Chasteen, Dacumos, Olivieri, Maffei, Kennedy, Faherty, Barnickle, and Wong.
Absent: Commissioners Joiner, Campbell, Guy, and Weeby. Meeting Agenda:
Motion was made to accept meeting agenda by Commissioner Dacumos and seconded by Commissioner Olivieri. The motion was passed by unanimous vote. Meeting Minutes:
Motion was made to accept the April 11, 2017 meeting minutes with amendments by Commissioner Noetzel and seconded by Commissioner Dacumos. The motion was passed by unanimous vote.
There was no public comment
President Maffei announced Korean War Soil Dedication Ceremony, Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 11:00am and the Memorial Day Ceremony on May 29, 2017. Vice President Kennedy announced that meeting agenda and minutes were publicly posted on time and that he would be taking on the duties of Secretary during the meeting.
Motion was made to move the resolution review to next month to allow more discussion by absent Commissioners. Commissioner Olivieri made the motion and seconded by Commissioner Kennedy. The motion was passed by unanimous vote.
1. A presentation on Veterans Court by the Honorable Jeffrey Ross, Superior Court Judge and Ron Perez, Program Manager, COVER Program. Below is a list of topics discussed during presentation:
- Collaborative courts- accepts all veterans regardless of discharge
- Benefits-housing for homeless, mental health services, legal consequences are usually dismissed. Felonies also can be dismissed, veterans court has alternate probation incentives
- Remarkable results
- Team consists of prosecutors, defense, probation officials, and administrators.
- Grants comes from Judicial Council of California and last 3 years.
- Is it possible to gain BOS support for grant funding? Resolution to BOS?
- Mentor programs need people on the outside-need outside activities, need younger vets.
- Mentor roles: 1. Court Help 2. Outside Liaison 3. Activities like Rebuilding boats
- Need more housing, inpatient treatment for mental health, more substance abuse treatment
- BAKER PLACES, PROGRESS FOUNDATIONS, SWORD TO PLOWSHARES HOUSE
- Jail celebrates Veterans Day and Memorial Day
2. A presentation was made by County Veterans Service Officer Dorian Carr. Below is a list of topics covered by Mr. Carr:
- Staffing issues for satellite offices on 3rd street.
- What does CVSO do? “Conduit between community and VA, survivor benefits/issues, etc.”.
- How can the VAC do to help? “Dialogue exchange is best way to work together.”
- Can we step in and help advocate at BOS/Mayor-Veterans Housing Preference?
3. Commissioner Dacumos spoke about the death of a homeless veteran Mr. Taylor and asked the Commission how can we prevent more of this in the future and how can we work with other departments. Letters were distributed by Comm. Dacumos and a motion was made by President to submit letters on behalf of the SFVAC, seconded by Comm. Barnickel. The motion was approved by unanimous vote.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:30 pm.