Every child entering kindergarten in the San Francisco Unified School District automatically receives a college savings account at Citibank with an opening deposit of $50 from the City of San Francisco. A K2C account is a deposit-only savings account opened and managed by the City & County of San Francisco.
- No fees
- No impact on public benefits eligibility
- Various deposit channels: direct deposit, online banking, in-branch, mail, at school
- Funds can only be accessed when the child enters post-secondary school – two-year or four-year institutions, training programs, trade, technical or vocational school.
- Deposit only accounts – emergency withdrawals available
- Families are able to view accounts online
Why does San Francisco open a college savings account for every child in SFUSD?
1. We believe in our children's futures.
2. If you save as little as a few hundred dollars, your child is 3x more likely to go to college.
3. Saving for college can be overwhelming – we want to make it easy for you.
During these uncertain times, we understand that you may need access to funds saved in your child’s K2C account. K2C has always allowed emergency withdrawals. Should you need to request an emergency withdrawal, please complete the Non-Qualified Withdrawal Request form online andor download and submit form online or send to email@example.com.
Complete Emergency Form Online
Download and Send Form to K2C
You can earn the following incentives by saving and taking other action:
- $10 Save Monthly Incentive: Any month you save at least $10, you will be credited with $10. You can receive a total of $30 for any three months you save during the school year.
- $10 Save Now Incentive: You will receive a one-time bonus of $10 if you make the first deposit in your student's account by the end of the school semester the account was opened. Act now!
- $20 View Balance Online Incentive: If you register on the K2C online portal to view your student's account balance, your student will receive a one-time $20 incentive in their account. This incentive is available for K2C account holders who have not yet registered their account on the K2C portal.
Please allow up to a month for incentives to appear in your child's K2C account. Incentives are conditional on pursuing post-secondary education. Incentives may change yearly based on available funding.
You, your child, extended family, and friends can deposit into a K2C account in a variety of ways using the student’s name and account number.
- Cash - You will need to provide one valid government-issued photo ID and other identifying information.
- Check or money order - You will only need your student's K2C Account number and name.
Make a check or money order payable to your child's name, include their account number in the memo section of the check, and mail to:
Citi Youth Savings Accounts
P.O. Box 790020
St. Louis, MO 63179-9966
Set up bill pay at your financial institution, following these instructions:
- Log into your bank or credit union’s online portal and go to the Bill Pay service. You can also call your financial institution for guidance on how to set up Bill Pay.
- Enter and save the Bill Pay merchant details in the following field:
- Merchant Name: Kindergarten 2 College Account
- Account #: Enter the student’s 15-digit account number
- Merchant Address: P.O. Box 790020 St. Louis, MO 63179-9966
- Merchant Phone Number: 415-701-2311
- Follow the prompts to add the merchant and set up a one-time or recurring payment.
Once you have entered this merchant in your bank’s Bill Pay service, you should not have to enter this information again and all payments will be sent electronically.
*Fees may be charged by your financial institutions for bill payment services. So, check with your institution first.
Kindergarten to College (“K2C”) accounts are deposit-only savings accounts opened and maintained by the City and County of San Francisco (“the City”) to help students enrolled in participating San Francisco Unified School District (“SFUSD”) schools and grades save for college or other post-secondary education. A student, their family, and friends, may contribute to the student’s account.
The City maintains K2C accounts at Citibank, N.A. (“Citibank”). The accounts grow through contributions, gifts, incentives, and scholarships. Students and their parent/guardian may review their K2C account balance and transaction history online at www.k2csf.org.
A contribution is a deposit of funds to a K2C account by a student, family, friend, or another person for the benefit of the student. Contributions are credited to a student’s K2C account and may count towards savings-related incentives. A gift is a deposit of funds that the K2C Program makes to a student’s K2C account on behalf of a third party, such as a company.
Incentives are funds provided by K2C that the student can receive by meeting certain savings or other achievements. Scholarships may be awarded by K2C or on behalf of a third party based on certain academic or other achievements.
Incentives and scholarships can be earned only while a student is enrolled in an eligible SFUSD school or program. All incentives and scholarships are conditional on a student’s post-secondary educational attendance.
When a student is ready to use their K2C funds for post-secondary education expenses, the student should contact K2C at firstname.lastname@example.org. If a student does not attend post-secondary education by age 25, K2C will disburse all contributions and gifts to the student; all incentives and scholarships will return to the K2C program. Students who serve in a national service program, such as the US Military, Peace Corps or AmeriCorps, may defer receipt of their funds one year for each year of service, to a maximum of five years or age 30.
In the case of a family emergency, the student or parent/guardian may request an early withdrawal of some or all contributions and gifts in the student’s K2C account. In such a case, the student or parent/guardian should contact K2C at email@example.com to request a withdrawal form. An early withdrawal will forfeit incentives. K2C will facilitate an emergency withdrawal as quickly as possible, but the process could take up to 30 days.
If a student is no longer enrolled in SFUSD, the student or parent/guardian may request that their K2C account remain open provided there is at least $10 in contributions and/or gifts in the account. To keep the account open, the student or parent/guardian must verify their address and make at least one deposit each calendar year. Any incentives or scholarships the student received while enrolled in SFUSD will remain in the K2C account. However, the student will no longer be eligible for new incentives or scholarships.
If the student’s account has less than $10 in contributions and/or gifts, the account will be closed, the parent/guardian of the student will be notified, and contributions and gifts will be sent to the student or guardian. All incentives and scholarships will return to the K2C program.
K2C program rules are subject to change. For more information about the K2C program, go to www.k2csf.org.
K2C, K2C Kids to College (logo), Kids to College, and the Kids 2 College (logo) are registered service marks of The Sallie Mae Fund, a charitable organization sponsored by Sallie Mae, Inc. The Sallie Mae Fund, including its parent, affiliates and subsidiaries, are not affiliated with the City and County of San Francisco’s Kindergarten to College Program. Visit TheSallieMaeFund.org to learn more.
Please make sure that SFUSD has your current address so we can communicate with you about your child's account. To update your address with SFUSD, a parent or guardian must submit SFUSD's Change of Address form in-person for each child at the following address:
Educational Placement Center
555 Franklin Street, Room 199
Need help? E-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call3-1-1 (in San Francisco) or 415 -701 -23 11. We're happy to help!