Fines and Fees Task Force Meeting
January 19, 2017, 3:00-5:00pm
City Hall, Room 278
Task Force Members Present:
Anne Stuhldreher (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Dion Libutti (Community Housing Partnership), Scott Nelson (Coalition on Homelessness), Kendra Amick (Bay Area Legal Aid), Ruth Sappelt (Office of Economic and Workforce Development), Elisa Della-Piana (Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights), Emmett Nelson (Municipal Transportation Agency), Tara Anderson (District Attorney’s Office), Carmen Aguirre (Public Defender’s Office)
Members of the Public:
Tanea Lunsford (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Phillip O’Donnell (Coalition on Homelessness), Asher Waite-Jones (Legal Services for Children), Jeff Ferreira (SF Police Department), Sam Dodge (Department on Homelessness & Supportive Housing), Anna Arevalo (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Christa Brown (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Jennifer Friedenbach (Coalition on Homelessness), Amanda Fried (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Mark Culkins (SF Superior Court), Tara Agnese (SF Adult Probation Department)
1. Agenda Review and Approval
Anne Stuhldreher called the meeting to order at 3:00pm. Anne reviewed the agenda and background materials. The agenda was approved by Task Force Members.
2. Group Agreements
Tanea reiterated the Group Agreements. No one added to the living document.
3. Quality of Life Citations
The following updates were given from stakeholder perspectives:
- Background on Quality of Life Citations process: Elisa Della Piana (Lawyers Committee For Civil Rights)
- City Resources to address root causes of homelessness: Sam Dodge (SF Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing)
- Police Department role in citation process: Sergeant Jeff Ferreira (San Francisco Police Department)
- Services and Support to resolve citations: Tara Anderson (San Francisco District Attorney’s Office)
- Role of Superior Court in Quality of Life Citations: Mark Culkins (San Francisco Superior Court)
- Improving citation process: Jennifer Friedenbach (Coalition on Homelessness)
- Facilitated Discussion about Perspectives.
4. Discussion: Potential Task Force Recommendations
Task Force members discussed potential recommendations to reform the Quality of Life citation process.
5. Public Comment
The public participated throughout agenda item discussions.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:00pm