Leaving SFUSD

Congratulations for using your Kindergarten to College (K2C) account to save for college!   

When your student is no longer enrolled in a San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) school, K2C will close their account and you have three options:  

  • Transfer the balance of contributions and incentives into a 529 CA ScholarShare account; 
  • Donate your contributions to K2C to benefit other students;  
  • Request that we send the balance of your personal contributions by check or bank transfer. 

                                                                          Submit Request

Steps to Take When No Longer Enrolled in SFUSD

1Stop making contributions (e.g. cash, bill pay, direct deposit) with K2C.   

2Complete the required Fillable PDF form (email to k2c@sfgov.org or request Docusign) 
-  Submit and sign in English via DocuSign, OR 
-  Email K2C@SFGOV.org  fillable PDF in English I español I Filipino I 中文   

3Stay in communication and follow-up on anything needed to process your request (e.g. proof of new address)

Act Now!

  • After one year (total contributions less than $15) or three years (contributions of $15 or more), you will lose any contributions and earned Kindergarten to College (K2C) incentives will return to the Program.  K2C’s latest program rules can always be found online and more details are described below along with related forms. 

K2C strongly encourages you to consider opening a 529 College Savings Account. K2C can wire your contributions AND incentives directly into your California ScholarShare 529 account.  Participants who elect this option must link their 529 CA ScholarShare account with K2C’s online portal so that K2C can continue to provide me information and support.  Check out the  “529 section” of the K2C site for special incentives, workshops, step-by-step instructions, and frequently asked questions.   

You can elect to donate your contributions to benefit other K2C students.  K2C will send a thank you note as confirmation of your tax-deductible donation.  Any earned incentives will return to the program. 

Checks are made payable to the student for the balance of any contributions. Parents or legal guardians may deposit checks for a student into their own bank account or one for their minor child. 

When electing a bank transfer for contributions, K2C is using Zelle. If you are not registered for Zelle, you will receive instructions via email from the City and County of San Francisco’s banking partner Bank of America on how to register. If K2C is unable to successfully transfer funds electronically, a check payable to the student will be mailed. 

Learn about Zelle and see step-by-step instructions to register and accept payments. Contact your bank directly to confirm the bank and email address associated with Zelle before requesting a transfer from K2C to ensure you receive notifications and understand where funds will be deposited.

Please note that K2C is only sending payments at this moment to registered Zelle users via email.  K2C and the City and County of San Francisco's banking partner Bank of America will not communicate via text (SMS) about a Zelle transfer.  We recommend calling 311 (415-701-2311) or emailing us at k2c@sfgov.org if you receive a suspicious message that appears to come from us. Additionally, if any payment amounts are sent in error to a recipient via Zelle, K2C will communicate with recipients to ensure funds are recovered successfully from k2c@sfgov.org.

Join Zoom office hours (Tuesday 4-5pm in English & Thursdays 9:30am-10:30 am in Spanish) to get questions answered, email k2c@sfgov.org or call 311 (415-701-2311 outside of San Francisco).   

If your address has changed, please provide proof of new address, such as your utility bill, home or renters insurance, pay stub within 45 days, or other proof of residency by email to k2c@sfgov.org.  

Our team is here to support you on the next step of your college saving journey!