The Youth Commission is a body of 17 youth from San Francisco between the ages of 12 and 23. Created by the voters under a 1995 amendment to the City Charter, the commission is responsible for advising the Board of Supervisors and the Mayor on policies and laws related to young people. The Youth Commission is also charged with providing comment and recommendation on all proposed laws that would primarily affect youth before the Board takes final action. You can read more about the Youth Commission here.
District 1 Sarah Cheung
District 2 Valentina Alioto-Pier
District 3 Maggie Dong
District 4 Josephine Cureton
District 5 Calvin Quick
District 6 Khatab Alameri
District 7 Crystal Chan
District 8 Jose "Jojo" Ty
District 9 Ariana Arana
District 10 Rome Jones
District 11 Amara Santos
Mayoral Rocky Versace
Mayoral Alexander Hirji
Mayoral Arsema Asfaw
Mayoral Nora Hylton
Mayoral Arianna Nassiri
Our 2019 - 2020 Youth Commissioners were sworn in by Board President Yee on September 4th, 2019 at 5pm in the Board Chambers in room 250. Thank you all for witnessing and supporting our youth!
Special shout out to our outgoing Youth Development Specialist Naomi Fierro who is leaving to be the Director of Student Inclusion at Lick Wilmerding High School in San Francisco. She has done tremendous work building young people’s power with a radical and bold curriculum and from those seeds may we all grow in strength to make this a world for us all. We are sad to see her go but excited for her next chapter. For more information about joining the Youth Commission team, please check out the job description here.
- Youth Commissioners have approved their Budget & Policy Priorities for fiscal years 2019-20 and 2020-21. They can be viewed here (PDF) and the footage of their presentation to the Board of Supervisors' Budget & Finance Committee here at the 1:58 mark. Join us in public comment on Monday, June 24th, 2019 in Board Chambers to advocate for the needs of youth in SF!
The Youth Commission meets regularly as a full body on the first and third Monday of every month. Meetings are usually held at 5:00 pm in room 416 of City Hall. Please, see our calendar of all regularly scheduled Youth Commission meetings for the 2019-20 term.
- The next full Youth Commission meeting will take place on Monday, September 23rd at 5pm in room 416. An agenda has been posted.
The Youth Commission has standing issue-based committees that meet regularly in City Hall. The Youth Commission 2019-20 issue-based committees are as follows:
- The Executive Committee will meet on Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 at 5 pm in room 345. An agenda will be posted.
- The Housing and Land Use Committee will meet on Thursday, September 26th at 5 pm in room 278. An agenda has been posted.
- The Transformative Justice Committee meeting on Monday, September 30th at 5 pm in room 278 has been cancelled. A cancellation agenda has been posted.
- The Civic Engagement Committee will meet on Monday, September 30th at 4 pm in room 270. An agenda will be posted.
- The minutes from the Executive Committee for Wednesday, September 18th, 2019 in room 345 have been posted.
- The minutes from the Transformative Justice Committee meeting on Monday, September 16th, 2019 at 5 pm have been posted.
- The minutes from the special inaugural Full Youth Commission meeting on Wednesday, September 4th, 2019 have been posted.
- The minutes from the Civic Engagement Committee meeting on Monday, July 23rd, 2019 have been posted.
- The minutes from the Housing and Land Use Committee meeting on Thursday, September 12th, 2019 have been posted.
What Happened in the Recent Past?
To see what we were focused on the last term, check out the Youth Commission's Policy and Budget Priorities from 2015-16 (PDF) as well as the 2015 annual report (PDF). To see current business from the 2014-15 term, visit our tracking YC business page.